Out of Copyright Music Recordings

Copyright on music ends after 50 years in Europe
In the US copyright does not expire for 95 years.
:bigsmile:

1- implications for LEGAL internet music sharing…in 50 years?
2- problem with US/EU discrepancy?
3- which are the best download sites already in existence for e.g. old jazz recordings?

Your thoughts please cdfreaks.

At that time we have about 50 years of P2P and even better technologies at the " dark side" of filesharing. It’s been predicted before that music will cost practically nothing in the future.

For the real fans , it would not matter , because they will continue to go to concerts of course.

Anyhoo , back on the topic about copyrights. Does this mean the copyright of A song. So if i make (up) a song now , i have the copyright till 2053 or does it mean that in 2053 copyright just does not exist anymore on ANY song ?

Every few years they extend the copyrights. In 10 years time copyright will extend indefinitely. In 20 years you won’t be able to host anything not by yourself on the internet. In 30 years the internet will be banned. In 40 years someone will invent a new network that plugs into your brain. In 50 years free thought will be banned and the thought police will come after you. In 60 years there will be a revolution in the brain network and we can leave our physical bodies entirely. In 80-90 years we give up our bodies completely and become beings of energy. In 100 the aliens land. Find all these organisms attached to a huge brain network and decide to pull the plug. We all end up being shunted to the nearest terminal and end up in the wrong body. :slight_smile:

I have way too much time.

Originally posted by Oddball
[B]Every few years they extend the copyrights. In 10 years time copyright will extend indefinitely. In 20 years you won’t be able to host anything not by yourself on the internet. In 30 years the internet will be banned. In 40 years someone will invent a new network that plugs into your brain. In 50 years free thought will be banned and the thought police will come after you. In 60 years there will be a revolution in the brain network and we can leave our physical bodies entirely. In 80-90 years we give up our bodies completely and become beings of energy. In 100 the aliens land. Find all these organisms attached to a huge brain network and decide to pull the plug. We all end up being shunted to the nearest terminal and end up in the wrong body. :slight_smile:

I have way too much time. [/B]

Sounds like the matrix gone extrremly bad. Yeah we would end up in the wrong bodies and, our brains would reject it and we would all die.

I think a more likely scenario, is we all blow ourselves up in nuclear war.

Ever seen the movie equilibrium, basically in the future all emotions are banned and everyone has to take pills so they don’t feel anything. Quite an interesting film if you like that kind of thing.

There ought to be limits on freedom

© George W. Bush

What about movies? Do they go out of copyright? What about TV shows?

Everything loses it’s copyright, eventually.

Is it possible to buy a copyright?

I remember that Michael Jackson bought the rights to all the Beatles songs.