Otherwise good drive now having problems reading new discs: lens cleaner?

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]My Sony/NEC/Optiarc AD-7200A has been a great drive until yesterday: it is now giving me read errors like crazy when attempting to create an ISO from any disc. I’ve tried many discs, and it’s doing it on pretty much everything, even brand new discs with no visible problems that are read perfectly (full ISO rip) on my other DVD-ROM drive.

Strangely, (though I’ve only done one burn since the problem started) the drive still seems to do fine with burns, and in fact it verified as a perfect burn (in the same drive!) using ImgBurn.

So, the newbie question: DVD-lens cleaner–good idea or bad idea? If bad, is there ever a time when DVD lens cleaners are a good idea? Can they be used with burners safely, readers only, or should they never be used at all?

Also, if the lens cleaner is a bad idea, any thoughts on what might be causing this or anything I might try to remedy the situation?

Thank you in advance.

Hi,

lens cleaner discs are a bad idea. There must be a reason why Philips and Pioneer advise not to use these with their DVD writers.

Michael

In Philips case kind of interesting they make this product but don’t recommend it for their DVD writers.It sure doesn’t say anything about that.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/s/svc2520w_27/svc2520w_27_pss_aen.pdf
Is the theory that the brushes some how scratch the lens or alter the alignment of the lens ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2413791] Is the theory that the brushes some how scratch the lens or alter the alignment of the lens ?[/QUOTE]I guess, it’s something like that. Considering the retail price of a DVD writer of about 30$, there isn’t much headroom for solid components.

Michael

[QUOTE=hstevens;2413688]
Also, if the lens cleaner is a bad idea, any thoughts on what might be causing this or anything I might try to remedy the situation?[/QUOTE]I would replace the IDE cable. Note, you’ll need a 80wire (18"/45cm) flat ribbon cable.

Michael