OTA HDTV tuner

Due to being hard hit by the economy I am getting rid of Satelite including the HD channels. I have a good outdoor antenna. Unfortunately my HDTV is really a HD monitor (no tuner). I need to buy a HDTV tuner to receive HD and non HD content. Do you know of any good ones?

Just out of curiosity, which country are you in? It’s difficult to make a recommendation otherwise.

If you live in the UK or Ireland, I would recommend getting the BBC HD Freesat box, which does not require any subscription and works with an existing Sky satellite dish and connects to the monitor by HDMI. This webpage gives a list of channels which Freesat carries, which includes the HD channels ITV HD and BBC HD. If you live in Ireland, I would recommend taking a trip to Northern Ireland to purchase one, as the Freesat HD boxes in Ireland are about twice the price.

In the USA you can get a Samsung converter box that has an NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuner. Then you have all of the free digital channels from the antennae and cable. If you own the dish, get a Coolsat or Pansat satellite box and get all of the free channels.

[QUOTE=Seán;2202041]Just out of curiosity, which country are you in? It’s difficult to make a recommendation otherwise.

If you live in the UK or Ireland, I would recommend getting the BBC HD Freesat box, which does not require any subscription and works with an existing Sky satellite dish and connects to the monitor by HDMI. This webpage gives a list of channels which Freesat carries, which includes the HD channels ITV HD and BBC HD. If you live in Ireland, I would recommend taking a trip to Northern Ireland to purchase one, as the Freesat HD boxes in Ireland are about twice the price.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply.
I live in the U.S.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2202167]In the USA you can get a Samsung converter box that has an NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuner. Then you have all of the free digital channels from the antennae and cable. If you own the dish, get a Coolsat or Pansat satellite box and get all of the free channels.[/QUOTE]

I will look into the Samsung. I am hoping there are other brands out there to choose from so I have something to compare the Samsung to. Also, I am not going to have Cable or Satelite. Only over the air.

Amazon carries the Samsung HD terrestrial receiver for $159 at this time of writing.

Going by the user reviews, I’m quite surprised to see some people saying they get perfect reception from a basic rabbit ears antenna, so it appears that this has a very sensitive tuner. It is also reported to work fine with displays that don’t have an existing tuner, including LCD PC monitors with a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. It has both component and HDMI, so if your display doesn’t have HDMI, this should still work fine using the component (Y, Pb, Pr) leads. :wink:

[QUOTE=Seán;2203148]Amazon carries the Samsung HD terrestrial receiver for $159 at this time of writing.

Going by the user reviews, [B]I’m quite surprised to see some people saying they get perfect reception from a basic rabbit ears antenna,[/B] so it appears that this has a very sensitive tuner. It is also reported to work fine with displays that don’t have an existing tuner, including LCD PC monitors with a DVI to HDMI cable or adapter. It has both component and HDMI, so if your display doesn’t have HDMI, this should still work fine using the component (Y, Pb, Pr) leads. ;)[/QUOTE]
Just go here:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Pluck in your address and it will give you some solid info on what you can expect and what size antenna you’ll need.

Thanks for the replies. I will give the Samsung a try.