OSX users - How have the backups been going?

I was wondering about the file sizes too… Are they all 7+GB?? And do you just dvdbackup and then dvd2one for the full disc copy (not just movie only?) and it compresses it down to the 4GB file size?

Originally posted by Mr Peter Gattig
Another thing, Toast does a disk verify after it has burned the movie. That took about 30mins. I’d rather verify it myself in DVD Player and save the time but I can’t find it as an option to turn it off.

You can just cancel the verification process at any time, it won’t do no harm. By the way, doesn’t Toast ask you when the burning has finished if it should eject the disk OR start the verification process?

Originally posted by mcrispin
OSEX crashes on DVD Folder, and when I create the DVD Image, Disc Copy won’t let it mount.
[/B]

You can mount Osex´s DVD images with Toast without a problem.

Originally posted by the future
[B]

By the way, doesn’t Toast ask you when the burning has finished if it should eject the disk OR start the verification process? [/B]

You’re probably right, I have so many new things going on right now, I don’t remember if it asked. I’ll pay closer attention on my next burn. Thanks.

Hi All

I’ve watched my backuped movies on my new LCD TV set and I just discovered that all my backups looks like I am watchin an old 8mm 18 fps film on a projector its allways - sort of - flicker and skipin frames otherwise on the old TV (Analog Glasstube)equipment it looks totaly normal to me. This all I dont see with the orginal movies on the LCD TV.

I noticed this problem on my cinema display (LCD) as well… on the ‘normal’ TV the movies looked perfectly ok…

I’ll start a new thread about this, maybe more users (pc and mac) experience the same.

Well I have had great success so far
with DVD2OneX until today. I have
copied about 25 successful movies
including several diskcopy movies
of 6FeetUnder disc 1 and 2 and
Sex and the City disc 1.

DVD2OneX crashed three times on
6FeetUnder Season 1 Disc 3. I copied
using DVDBackup 1.3 and OSEX folders
and disc image mounted under toast.

Have not been able to get it to work
on this disk. I came to the forum and
found it interesting that someone
else had the same problem with this
disc.

Not a bad track record. This is my first
crash. If someone has a workaround,
please post.

Thanks

Well I too have had great success so far
with DVD2OneX! Great Program!
I have created back ups successfully of Gladiator, Shrek, Battle Beyond The Stars, The Matrix, Heat, Monsters Inc, Drumline, Reservoir Dogs, Stargate, Fast and Furious, Sorcerer’s Stone, Blow, 8 Mile, MIB II, Driven, Cast Away, 3000 Miles To Graceland and have only owned program for less than a week!
No coasters as of yet.
I’m using Apple DVD(2x) media(have also used Verbatum but only burns at 1x), at about $ 3.00 a pop on G4 Quicksilver Tower running Jaquar OS X. I burn using Toast.
Haven’t really tried to burn an episode dvd and at moment see know need as of yet.
My 2 cents worth!
BB

Battle of the Stars…is that a scifi movie with the guy from The Waltons?..can’t remember the name…

Yes it is.
Richard Thomas(John Boy).
George Peppard(Hannable) from A Team fame is also in it.
BB

I imagine the problem is from poor encryption, if you watch the orginal disc, you might notice a small “hiccup” about 3/4 of the way through - which is exactly where DTOX crashes.

The only workaround I know of, is to decrypt with OSEX into elementary streams each episode, than mux with Sizzle, unfortunately you’ll have to use 2 dvd-r’s for this process as you won’t be able to compress with DTOX because it thinks the file is still encrypted. You will also loose all menus.

MC

Thanks. Now that you mention it,
my wife pointed out to me how the
disc paused - kind of hung in a freeze
frame during a scene change. That
is interesting.

I am trying to make a VCD of the disc
now using forty-two but I don’t know
if that software will be able to handle
episode style discs either. I have a feeling
my VCD image will only be of the
first episode on the disc. The DVD
shows three titles, one for each
episode.

worked wonderfully for me. i’m doing movie only copies of everything. i don’t really like the “features” everyone adds now. it’s a watch them once and forget them thing for me usually.

nothing more satisfying then popping in a movie and watching the MOVIE start to play.

simple bliss.

Originally posted by alcimedes
[B]worked wonderfully for me. i’m doing movie only copies of everything. i don’t really like the “features” everyone adds now. it’s a watch them once and forget them thing for me usually.

nothing more satisfying then popping in a movie and watching the MOVIE start to play.

simple bliss. [/B]

You can still have your “features” AND also have your movie start playing upon DVD insert by editing the First Play PGC Pre Command to jump to your movie’s Title by using IFOedit afterwards. Double bliss.:cool:

Hmm…I just made my first backup.
it was about 9.5Gb and it only took 16mins to code…is this normal?
I run a quicksilver 867 and jaguar.
I have also the LCD-syndrom.

The LCD syndrome doesn’t seem to have anything to do with DVD2oneX but with the Apple DVD Player. Try watching the original disk - I had the same problems on my LCD as with the disk compressed by DVD2oneX.

I have been very happy with dvd2oneX so far. I’ve done 17 movies so far and only made 1 coaster. That was O Brother Where Art Thou which came out with no audio. I think I just effed up and forgot to click an audio option cuz i have not had this problem with any other movies.

Up to now I’ve just done movies using the movie only option. Now id like to backup my Simpsons Season 3 collection and am stuck:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74469

Are there any tutorials on making episode dvds with dvd2oneX? Ive seen a lot of discussion about IFOedit VOBedit with windows version but there does not seem to be an osX version. Is there alternate software for osX that will do the job? (other than dvd studio)
Thanks

Originally posted by alkemist
[B]I have been very happy with dvd2oneX so far. I’ve done 17 movies so far and only made 1 coaster. That was O Brother Where Art Thou which came out with no audio. I think I just effed up and forgot to click an audio option cuz i have not had this problem with any other movies.

Up to now I’ve just done movies using the movie only option. Now id like to backup my Simpsons Season 3 collection and am stuck:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74469

Are there any tutorials on making episode dvds with dvd2oneX? Ive seen a lot of discussion about IFOedit VOBedit with windows version but there does not seem to be an osX version. Is there alternate software for osX that will do the job? (other than dvd studio)
Thanks [/B]

The easiest way to do episodic discs is to do a full disc copy. I have done this many times without any problems.:slight_smile: