OSX users - How have the backups been going?

Just wondering if OSX users have been having good success with dvd2oneX doing at least just movie only mode. Is it coming out flawless and like the original?

full copy mode crashes on me everytime.

haven’t figured out why yet.

been trying tv episodes. x-files, family guy, simpsons, band of brothers.

I’ve heard things about those season tv series dvd’s being hard to copy… What about your regular movies?

I’ve had perfect success on about 10 DVDs so far (no episodic DVDs so far). This has been in full disk mode, as I haven’t tried movie only yet. Hat’s off to the developers!

I have been having 100% success (over 25 discs) so far. In fact, I am using DTOX more now than the Windows version as I have zero freezes on my Mac while I have at least 1 freeze a day on my Wintel machine. Great piece of software.:bigsmile:

For the most part it runs pretty good, it doesn’t seem to like Six Feet Under Season 1 Disc 3 - I think this might be a decryption problem not necessarily a DTOX thing, still working on other possible solutions. It also didn’t seem to like LOTR: Fellowship (extended) very much. Those are the two problems I’ve had.

I’ve also noticed it doesn’t multi-task very well, but considering it’s speed I can live with that - pretty darn good for a first version.

Originally posted by mcrispin
[B]For the most part it runs pretty good, it doesn’t seem to like Six Feet Under Season 1 Disc 3 - I think this might be a decryption problem not necessarily a DTOX thing, still working on other possible solutions. It also didn’t seem to like LOTR: Fellowship (extended) very much. Those are the two problems I’ve had.

I’ve also noticed it doesn’t multi-task very well, but considering it’s speed I can live with that - pretty darn good for a first version. [/B]

Six Feet Under- Sounds like an “episodic” disc… Sigh… I wanted to try those out… What sort of problems were you having with LOTR? Did it work in the end?

I’m doing everything at once. I just upgraded to OSX 10.2.3 from OS 9 and I installed an internal Pioneer A05 DVD-R/W burner. Everything has been going well until I slipped in a blank Imation DVD+R/W disk to burn my first movie. Nothing, the drive doesn’t recognize it nor does Toast. It just spits it back out. I read on this forum there is very little difference between DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W media but I think this may be the problem. The drive reads all my disks just fine and it shows up in the system profiler with all the right specs, so I doubt it is driver software related. It’s got to be the wrong media. If anyone knows for sure, let me know so I can breath a sigh of relief.

DVD Backup 1.3 and DVD2One demo seem to have done their job well with no error messages and the movie does play in Apple’s DVD player. I made one mistake though, choosing 4 channel sound only thinking it would play on 2 channels as well. There was background sounds but no dialog between actors.

I have a G4 dual 450, and I’m a little disappointed with processing times. DVD Backup took about 40 min and so did DVD2ONE for “Grand Canyon.” What’s odd is the original DVD is 7.68 GB and the final processed folder is only 1.02 GB. Seems like a waste or that it was over compressed at the default setting.

Wait a minute, I just checked for picture quality on the post DVDBackup file, I don’t see any difference on this 15" screen, but the actor dialog is missing there too. I ripped all 32 files, so what went wrong?

Are you using a demo copy of dvd2one? The demo has limited features. One is that it only does the first 30 min of a movie…

The Pioneer 105/A05 does not read/write to +RW/R discs. You must use -RW/R discs. Hope this helps.:bigsmile:

My results have been perfect. I’ve done both Movie only and Disk copy with perfect results. Great program, great back ups.

Hi there.
So far i just tested DTOX with 8 DVDs but they all came out great.

SO I’m happy! :bigsmile:

Pepe

Yes the results are amazing and I’m very happy. I think the majority of problems that we’ll start encountering is the ripping process. The 2 we know of needs some updating soon.

mdeleon, yes it’s a demo. The demo wouldn’t cut out the dialog and keep the background sounds. Besides, as I mentioned, when I decided to check the picture quality between the ripped files and the DVD2One processed files, the dialog was missing before it when though DVD2One. DVDBackup is at fault.

And thanks jamerican you certainly put my mind at ease. I’m expecting a 100 DVD-R pack in the mail today. The 5 pack of +WR has to be exchanged.

Well, I’m in this deep, I might as well dish out another $50 for DVD2One today.

Thanks again.

i’ve done a number of movies no problem. stargate sg1 episode discs seem fine also. are people aware that to get successful backups all titles on the disc must be played first on your mac using dvd player or vlc etc. as they are different titles they use different keys. the use dvdbackup or osex to back up. until i played the first few seconds of each title on the disc sg1 didn’t work.

Pulp Fiction DVD on G3/333 full Disk Copy: 2:50h
Blade DVD on PowerBook G4/667 full Disk Copy: 0:57h

Even with my old beige ´97 G3 I get results, I never would have thought could be possible. BTW I remember my firts transcode on that machine; it was Ghost Dog. Took me about 90 hours to fit it on 1CD with Sorenson 2.1 Professional and QDesign Audio. It was just to demonstrate the power of that codec and it still is sort of a masterpiece, playable with QT4 even on PI/166.

Why am I telling you that? Just because I still can´t believe that the same machine now is able of downsampling a whole DVD almost in real-time.

Thank You and keep on that fantastic work!

Yes I play it all through Apple DVD player first. I even let it play the movie for a sec or two. Some DVDs will be just problematic. If DVDbackup failes and OSeX fails when creating DVD folder, I just end up selecting make disk image in OSeX. Takes a bit longer but works everytime, whenever it chokes on making a DVD Folder. I use Toast to mount image and then DTOX goes to work…

I just made Xmen, plays great on my powerbook, but my sony dvd player doesnt seem to like it. is there some known issue with sony dvd players not liking these backups?

LOTR (Extended) seems to drive DVDBackup a little nuts for some reason, I’ve tried three methods with Six Feet Under Disc 3 and no love yet (how ironic)

OSEX crashes on DVD Folder, and when I create the DVD Image, Disc Copy won’t let it mount.

Is there something I’m missing here?

I’ve tried DVDExtractor, but that won’t create the sort of files DTOX needs, while SFU was good for decrypting SFU, DTOX still crashes about 75% of the way through. Again, everything is wonderful, just those two buggers.

Well, I burned my first DVD today of “Grand Canyon” and it played flawlessly in my Sony NS700 player. Still not crazy about the time from start to finish, about 2:45 hrs but the movie is 2:17 hrs long. Most are in the 1:30 range. So that should cut the time down. Also using cheap DVD Pro 1X media doesn’t help except for my wallet. At $83 for 100 pack from Meritline.com, I couldn’t resist.

Another thing, Toast does a disk verify after it has burned the movie. That took about 30mins. I’d rather verify it myself in DVD Player and save the time but I can’t find it as an option to turn it off.

I’m almost imbarressed to say what the sound problem was but I have a good excuse. The hidden audio button in Apple’s DVD player was off. As I mentioned, I just upgraded to OSX 10.2 and it was set that way by default or I might have clicked on it accidentally while checking out the new system. I realized something was wrong when even the original had no sound.

Still can’t figure out why the discrepancy in file size between the different programs. Applle’s info says the original DVD is 7.68 GB and the final processed folder is only 1.02 GB. But Toast says it’s 4.4 GB.

All in all, I am very satisfied with DVD2One. I hope you guys get filthy rich with this one. You deserve it !