OS X: fabio.kext?

What is the purpose of fabio.kext, which is installed to /System/Library/Extensions under OS X?

Is the kext absolutely critical to the functioning of DVDFab? Would it still work without it?

[QUOTE=negritude;2716759]What is the purpose of fabio.kext, which is installed to /System/Library/Extensions under OS X?

Is the kext absolutely critical to the functioning of DVDFab? Would it still work without it?[/QUOTE]

Not sure but I think that Fabio.kext is part of a Mountain Lion Update, Fab may be using it to install the program. Not really positive on this.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2716771]Not sure but I think that Fabio.kext is part of a Mountain Lion Update, Fab may be using it to install the program. Not really positive on this.;)[/QUOTE]

No, fabio.kext is a kernel extension that is installed by DVDFab. I simply want to know what it’s purpose is.

[QUOTE=negritude;2716779]No, fabio.kext is a kernel extension that is installed by DVDFab. I simply want to know what it’s purpose is.[/QUOTE]

I don’t own a Mac, I asked my son and thats the answer he gave me, I really do not know, I am sure google would be the first place to try and find out though. :bigsmile::wink: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/what-are-kexts.html

Does DVDFab install drivers when installed under Windows? If so, the kernel extension/driver for OS X probably provides similar functionality, though I’m not keen on any extra drivers or kexts installed in either Windows or OS X.

negritude, you can fairly safely rename the .kext (change the extension to .kext.old or something else) OR move the kext to a different folder temporarily to prevent it from loading on the next boot and test it out. As it’s not a mission-critical kext, it’s safe to do so without the OS getting upset at you, and you can try the software out manually. This might tide you over until you get a proper answer from the software developers themselves.