Os doesnt recognize my cd/dvd burner & cannot install firmware

vbimport

My Windows XP Professional x64 doesn’t recognize my CD/DVD burner (lite-on dvdrw shw-160p6s) I downloaded the latest firmware update from liteon and tried to install it but I got an error saying it cannot find a cd/dvd burner drive. Look below and single click on the image to enlarge it.

Edited: This is my first time problem with my dvd/cd burner, it had worked before on the same OS - WinXPProx64 (64bit) and WinXPProx86 (32bit/normal) in the past. I have checked inside my computer and found no damage. I also have unplugged off the IDE and reinserted it just to make sure. Any suggestion?

Is it seen in BIOS and/or Device Manager? You may have a bad IDE ribbon or incorrectly jumpered if not. If it is seen in Device Manager, try uninstalling it, and then reboot which may have Windows correctly identify it.

the liteon SHW-160P6S showed up on the bios so that probably means the problem lies in the WinXP Pro x64 OS itself. In the device manager, I have uninstalled it and used the scan for hardware change… it found the cd/dvd drive but with an error: “A problem occured during hardware installation. Your new hardware might not function properly.” (or something like that) so I checked the detail info… here it is: “Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19) Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.” okay I clicked the troubleshoot buttion and came up with nothing.

Any suggestion? Should I get a new cd/dvd burner drive (probably sata one like this one Lite-On LH-20A1S SuperAllWrite) I already have some extra SATA connections that came with ASUS motherboard box.

Edited: I forgot to mention that I did found a good working ATA IDE cable… and replaced the old one with it… still got the same result.

Hi and Welcome!

See if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Michael

Did you try uninstalling the drive and reboot? The link in post #4 may help if you’re getting that error message but likely won’t if not getting that error.

Try this Microsoft link as well http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883523/en-us

Wow… you guys are awesome! After I removed the lowerfilter line from the registry editor and uninstall the cd/dvd rw burner under device manager and rebooted, it just started working again. Thanks guys again! :bigsmile: