Original Bitrate?

vbimport

Are there any utilities that you can use to find out the bitrate of decoded Mp3s that's been burned as an audio cd? Thanks in advance.

Nope, all the information is lost during the conversion to .wav !

D’oh! Thanks. Reason I’m asking is because I’m currently redownloading all my Mp3s in 320 kbps. I have 5 CDs already burned, if I can find out which are already 320 I can save a lot of time d/ling. Oh well, it won’t take too long.

The only way (I know), at least to guess the used bitrate, is e.g. Cool Edit’s frequency analyser. Files, originally encoded at low bitrates, have less high frequencies left (above 16 kHz). Maybe, if this is mathematically possible, an algorithm exists, which is able to reconstruct a mp3 file from a decoded wave file. But it is more likely, that such a math operation (mp3–>wave) is irreversible (like modulo functions)!

Originally posted by little-endian
The only way (I know), at least to guess the used bitrate, is e.g. Cool Edit’s frequency analyser. Files, originally encoded at low bitrates, have less high frequencies left (above 16 kHz). Maybe, if this is mathematically possible, an algorithm exists, which is able to reconstruct a mp3 file from a decoded wave file. But it is more likely, that such a math operation (mp3–>wave) is irreversible (like modulo functions)!

It is indeed a one way function. It may be possible to create a mathmatical function to determine the bitrate, but it would have to be encoder specific.