Ordered my 2500a, just need some media - advice?

vbimport

I’ve pulled the trigger and ordered a 2500a for £60 from SVP.

I now want to order some media to go with it.

I’m thinking about the following -

• Taiyo Yuden Unbranded 48x 700mb CD-Rs
  • Verbatim Pastel DVD-Rs (minus) - which I believe to be TY as well.

Will these be a good choice for the NEC drive?

Thanks
Chez

Howdy!

I can highly recommend 8x Platinum DVD+Rs with Ricohjpn-R02 media code. They work like a charme on my 2500A. With Herrie’s new bitsetting firmware, you can bookmark them as DVD-Rom. So you achieve readability on older standalone players. Highly recommended. The price for these media is 23 - 27 € for a cakebox with 25 discs. Absolutely fair price, IMO.

Thanks easy-going man.

I really want the best quality I can get for reasonable money, which is why I was considering the TY discs…I’ve only heard good things about them.

I’m also going to need some DVD+RW discs. Anyone got any suggestions??

Thanks
Chez

Yeah, TY discs are great. But discs with Ricohjpn-R02 media code are equal. As I said before: I achieve perfect results with them. I also have some TDK DVD-R with TY media code. They do not perform as good as the Platinums.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
Yeah, TY discs are great. But discs with Ricohjpn-R02 media code are equal. As I said before: I achieve perfect results with them. I also have some TDK DVD-R with TY media code. They do not perform as good as the Platinums.

Nothing equals TY! RICOHJPN R02 are good media in general, but not as excellent as TY!

As I’m new to all of this (DVD-R, not CD-R!!), I’ll go with the TY this time…

Are the -Rs as good as the +Rs? Reason being I want to order it all from one place (to save on shipping), but the shop with a good deal on TY CD-Rs only has the -R discs.

As for DVD+RW, I’ve seen some Zero Defex DVD+RW 4.7GB - 4x Speed discs. It says that they are manufactured by Ritek. Does anyone know if these are any good and will they be compatible with my 2500a??

Thanks
Chez

The jewel cased tdk @ link are TY ( fine @ 8x on nec 2500a )
( dvd cased are not but burn @4x o.k.)

http://cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/cdrmedia/sections.pl?id=12&tab=0

When I read a Platinum 8x DVD+R on my Toshiba SD-M 1612, the reading speed is 16x max. The graph in CD Speed is completely linear.

I have several 4x TDK DVD-Rs with Taiyo Yuden media code. I have burned all of them @4x. When I read them @16x max (the firmware of my Toshi is hacked), the speed drops after about 3.8 GB. The drive spins up and down and the reading process is delayed. Of course, the graph in CDSpeed does not look good after 3.8 GB. Only when I reduce the reading speed to 12x max, the graph is linear on Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs.

So my opinion is clear: My Platinums are at least equal to my Taiyo Yuden discs. Maybe, they have worse KProbe values (I cannot test it here), but the reading performance is clearly better. The readability in standalone players (even in old ones) is just as good as the TDK discs.

[B]When I read a Platinum 8x DVD+R on my Toshiba SD-M 1612, the reading speed is 16x max. The graph in CD Speed is completely linear.

I have several 4x TDK DVD-Rs with Taiyo Yuden media code. I have burned all of them @4x. When I read them @16x max (the firmware of my Toshi is hacked), the speed drops after about 3.8 GB. The drive spins up and down and the reading process is delayed. Of course, the graph in CDSpeed does not look good after 3.8 GB. Only when I reduce the reading speed to 12x max, the graph is linear on Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs.
discs. [/B]

I wouldn’t rely on Toshiba DVD-Roms too much :wink: Their DVD-RW drives are pure crap :’(

You are right about their DVD-Recorders. :iagree:

But Toshiba DVD-Roms, especially the SD-M 1612 and 1712 are the best DVD-Roms in the marked due to the hacked firmware. Or at least they are very popular because of their ability to read DVD+ / DVD- at full speed. Or do you know any other DVD-Roms which can read DVD- at full speed?

[B]You are right about their DVD-Recorders. :iagree:

But Toshiba DVD-Roms, especially the SD-M 1612 and 1712 are the best DVD-Roms in the marked due to the hacked firmware. Or at least they are very popular because of their ability to read DVD+ / DVD- at full speed. Or do you know any other DVD-Roms which can read DVD- at full speed? [/B]

LiteOn 166 is cheap and good too :slight_smile:

I’ve got a rebadged 163 (memorex 1648).

Is this an OK drive for reading write quality on or should I look at getting a newer one?

Originally posted by chez
[B]I’ve got a rebadged 163 (memorex 1648).

Is this an OK drive for reading write quality on or should I look at getting a newer one? [/B]

Should be OK, just make sure you lock the read-speed to 4x using CD-Bremse before doing the tests! Updating the firmware can be useful too :slight_smile: http://digi.rpc1.org for firmwares :slight_smile:

Originally posted by chez
[B]Are the (TY) -Rs as good as the +Rs? Reason being I want to order it all from one place (to save on shipping), but the shop with a good deal on TY CD-Rs only has the -R discs.

As for DVD+RW, I’ve seen some Zero Defex DVD+RW 4.7GB - 4x Speed discs. It says that they are manufactured by Ritek (who I believe use Ricoh??). Does anyone know if these are any good and will they be compatible with my 2500a??
[/B]

Any opinions??

Thanks
Chez

Yes all Taiyo Yuden discs are excellent quality even the DVD-Rs.
You should have no problem with those DVD+RWs either…