OrangeUSB USB 2.0 PCI?

vbimport

Wanted to buy a PCI USB 2.0 Controller card. After searching for reviews & comparing I found this OrangeUSB USB 2.0 PCI to be a good card.

Anyone using it ? Please post your experiences. You may also suggest any other card.

This one has 4 External ports & 1 Internal. Currently they are providing a front USB port free.

I will be mostly using it with my Creative Nomad/DAP Jukebox 2.0 (USB 2.0)

Also,

I will be getting it from the US. Found 2 online sites selling it.

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn=281017

Which online store is reliable?

Thanx in Advance.

no one got their hands on this.

Maybe you can look up what chipset is on this card. As I read the spects, I suspect that there is a VIA chipset on it. Then look for other cards with the same chipset and see if you can find any reviews on them. That might give you a good idea what you might be buying!

I must say that the price is incredibly high. Such a USB card only costs about $13 at our retailer. Okay, those aren’t consumer prices, but the difference should no be that huge…

I’m using an Adaptec card, believe I spent about $50 US for it. As for online suppliers, you can’t go wrong with NewEgg.com.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Maybe you can look up what chipset is on this card. As I read the spects, I suspect that there is a VIA chipset on it. Then look for other cards with the same chipset and see if you can find any reviews on them. That might give you a good idea what you might be buying!

I must say that the price is incredibly high. Such a USB card only costs about $13 at our retailer. Okay, those aren’t consumer prices, but the difference should no be that huge… [/B]

I saw some cheap unbranded/noname USB 2.0 PCI cards from 8 Dollars (USD). Do they work properly? I checked them at www.pricewatch.com

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I’m using an Adaptec card, believe I spent about $50 US for it. As for online suppliers, you can’t go wrong with NewEgg.com.

how is your adaptec card working? do you have the 3100 or 4000 model.

Originally posted by TerminatorShawn
[B]

I saw some cheap unbranded/noname USB 2.0 PCI cards from 8 Dollars (USD). Do they work properly? I checked them at www.pricewatch.com [/B]

If they work well, they really work well. Otherwhise they could be a pain in the ass.

If these cards are based on some exotic chip, you can expect problems in e.g. Linux or in combination with certain hardware.

If there’s a VIA chip on the USB card (like the cheap ones from our retailer have) the chance on problems will be a lot smaller. If you use any exotice OS (other than Win9x or WinNT+) I’d suggest to search the net for experiences with a certain chip…

In terms of vendor, I would say go with newegg.com.

In terms of USB 2.0 PCI cards, I usually go between Buslink (4 ext / 1 int) and Adaptec, both utilize the NEC chipset. I have never really been a fan of VIA, so my feedback may be a bit “biased”.

I’m currently using the Adaptec USB2connect 3100LP (3 ext / 1 int) under Windows 2000 with a Yamaha CRW3200UXZ. Don’t quite like the Adaptec drivers and / or the driver installation / upgrade process.

I’m also using BUSlink’s 5-port USB 2.0 PCI Card under Windows XP Pro SP1 with a Yamaha CRW-F1ZUX and Sony DRX500UL.

In both cases, the burners perform fairly well.

Here’s a product review for you on the OrangeUSB 2.0:
http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/index/Orange_OrangeUSB_2.0_Hi-Speed_PCI.htm

OK. thanks for the info.

Well, i have become more confused now : :confused: :confused: :confused:

Which one shall I go with? I will be using it in India & won’t have a chance to get it replaced if it ceases to work or gives problems.

So, what do you guys suggest:

1. Unbranded/Noname

2. Belkin

3. Buslink

4. Adaptec 3100LP or 4000 (hey whats the difference between these. specs are same)

5. OrangeMicro

Whats the best bet?

how is your adaptec card working? do you have the 3100 or 4000 model.

Mine is the 4000 model. There is also a 5000 model that has 5 external and a 6th port internal, but you can only have 5 working at a time.
It works great, rock stable. It uses several IRQ’s however, but thus far this has not been an issue and any USB ports will do the same.

This should more than answer your inquiry for the Adaptec:
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/prodfamilymatrix.html?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=%2FTechnology%2FUSB%2FUSB+Adapters

Ultimately, I would stick with Adaptec too.

so, should i go with the Adaptec 4000?

They’re all much the same, it’s just a matter of how many ports you need and whether you need an internal port.

They’re all much the same, it’s just a matter of how many ports you need and whether you need an internal port.

Well, actually I just need ONE port for Operating my Creative Nomad Jukebox 2 which is a USB 2.0 High Speed device.

I just checked www.orangemicro.com & found that there is a low cost 2 port USB 2.0 PCI card which sells for about $23. I think thats enough for me.

Regarding your comment on internal port, what other option do i have than buying a internal USB 2.0 pci card.

my ASUS board has 4 USB 1.1 ports.

some of the cards have a port on the back of the card to connect front case ports to. Be sure to disable all the onboard USB support, or you will have a lot of IRQ’s being used.

I won’t be able to disable the onboard USB ports if i buy the OrangeMicro USB 2.0 PCI card with only 2 USB 2.0 ports.

Because I may have the following USB items connected simultaneously:

Creative Webcam Pro
Creative Nomad Jukebox 2 (on the USB 2.0 PCI Card)
Acer S2W 3300U USB Scanner
MobileAction USB iRDA Port (only sometimes)

What wil happen if lots of IRQs are used?

What wil happen if lots of IRQs are used?

There’s no good answer to that, it depends on what is shared an by which resource. If it were me, I’d get a card that will handle all your USB needs and maybe even an extra port for the future.
Often you can manipulate IRQ sharing by swapping the PCI cards around. In most cases, there are no significant problems with sharing, but 2 sharing situations to avoid would be the video card and IDE controllers. Assuming Windows2K/XP, run “msinfo32” to see what’s going on with the IRQ’s.

Currently my IRQ assignments are as follows:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 9 BtCap, WDM Video Capture OK
IRQ 9 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC #2 OK
IRQ 9 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442 OK
IRQ 9 Intel® 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 OK
IRQ 10 SB PCI(WDM) OK
IRQ 10 Intel® 82801BA/BAM SMBus Controller - 2443 OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 OK
IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC OK
IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

what will happen if i keep my onboard usb enabled & add in a 2 port USB 2.0 PCI card ?

Also, what will the situation be if i disable onboard usb & install a 4 or 5 port PCI USB 2.0 card?

These IRQs are without attaching the WebCam, Scanner & Jukebox.

It looks as though if you ad a card it will share with one of the current assignments. which one is shared is anybodys guess. If you disable the onboard USB, it’ll free up those IRQ’s for the others. Shared IRQ’s can work out just fine, or not, depending on the hardware in question.

It looks as though if you ad a card it will share with one of the current assignments. which one is shared is anybodys guess. If you disable the onboard USB, it’ll free up those IRQ’s for the others. Shared IRQ’s can work out just fine, or not, depending on the hardware in question.

OK. How many IRQs are required for a 2 port USB 2.0 PCI Card?

I can easily free up IRQ 3 (COM2) which i donot require. I can disable it from the BIOS.