+ or -

Ok first post in forever. Been around here for years actually. Sorry can’t remember old emails or passwords.

Anyway. I’ve been reading the forums a lot for the past few weeks. I was heavily into cd burning till I quit cold turkey one day. So now I’m ready to get back into the mix and start with DVD burning. Now point me to a thread if you like as I’m at the point of just wanting an opinion from people that have explored this. What provides better compatibility for overall players standalone/pc/console of DVD movies. People I work with have informed me that it is their belief that + are is not good to use for stand alone dvd players. Is this true. I read almost all test show a compatibility issue with - DL, but I assume either that’s due to either old players testing, or that’s an issue strictly with dual layer. I have hundreds of dvd’s of which many have been ruined by kids in my house and I’ve had enough. Time to start backing up my collection.

Well just adding that from my own checking it seems that unless you have a really old player, it shouldn’t be an issue either way. Just was curious if anyone had issues with either format.
Quik Rekap: + or - for dvd movie playback on standalone players / consoles.

i suggest you start here http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=103718

Let me guess the +/- thread at the top of the page?

• are fine with old players provided you set the booktype to DVD-ROM. i just buy whatevers cheaper at the time

With players yes, with consoles there can still be some issues. After spending a couple of years helping out on various videogame console backup forums, I have found that those who use quality DVD-R (for single layer discs) tend to experience fewer hassles than those who use D/L DVD+R with the booktype set to DVD-ROM.

It’s not fair to compare the compatibility of Double Layer DVD+R to the compatibility of Single Layer DVD-R!

If you compare the compatibility of Single Layer DVD+R with DVD-ROM booktype to Single Layer DVD-R then you have a fair comparison, and the general consensus is that the booktyped DVD+R is at least as compatible as DVD-R.

For Double Layer DVD+R with DVD-ROM booktype compared to Dual Layer DVD-R the comparison is also valid, and the DVD+R DL is far more compatible with players than the DVD-R DL. I very much doubt that the compatibility advantage is reversed for consoles, although I don’t own any consoles.

Whoops, that was a mistake on my part. I meant single layer DVD+R with the booktype set to DVD-ROM.