+ or - dvd disc required?

I have laptop with a Matshita DVD RAM uj845s, I want to copy a film that I have on DVD onto a blank disc. I was told when i went to Dixons to buy a blank disc that I should look on the lid of the dvd to determine if i need a + or a -. There is no info’ on the lid, can anyone inform me what discs I need to buy. Thanks in anticipation of any help, I know next to nothing about computers!

Hi crystaljohn, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Your Matshita drive can burn most types of optical media, including CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+R DL, DVD-R DL and DVD-RAM.

So you can use either DVD+R or DVD-R.

I would suggest using DVD-R for movies to get the widest compatibilty with DVD Players (especially some older players).

For data you can use either DVD+R or DVD-R, but my Matshita UJ-840S (slightly older than your model) seems to “like” DVD+R so that’s what I feed it when burning data.

In case anyone would suggest using DVD+R and BookType bitsetting to DVD-ROM for even wider compatibility with DVD Players, this is unfortunately not possible with the Matshita drives.

I suggest getting some Verbatim 16x DVD-R which should be available at Dixons and is among the best DVD-R media and still affordable.

Hi DrageMester Many thanks for your amazing quick reply. Thats sorted me out!
Cheers , John

Glad to help!

Please come back and visit again! :smiley:

Oops! Actually I’m not sure about the DVD-R DL (Dual Layer) support and I haven’t found the specificiations anywhere. My Matshita UJ-840S doesn’t support writing to DVD-R DL but the 845S might.

This doesn’t change my recommendation above in any way.

I’m not sure if it really supports -R DL but the most important thing is that these drives are deadly picky about media, so try to use good media!