Optorite vs nd-2500 vs nd-2510a bge vs nd-2510a svr

vbimport

hi,
I’m new to dvd burner thing.
I have few options to buy. Please let me know which is the best.

1. OPTORITE - This is same as Sony DRU530a except the label.

$69.50
Optorite 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive Model DD0405, Retail

• Specifications -

2 face plates included beige and black face plate
Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-RW, 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: Internal IDE/ATAPI
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows 95 / 98 / ME / XP / NT / 2000
Features: Burn-Proof technology prevents buffer under run errors
Packaging: Retail Box (see pictures for details)

1. $69.99
    NEC 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model ND-2500A, OEM Bulk
  • Specifications -

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
Features: Vertical operation possible, anti-dust seal
Packaging: OEM Bulk Pack

Model#: ND-2500A BGE
Item#: N82E16827152011

NEC 8X Beige Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A, OEM BULK
$86.99

• Specifications -

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW
OS Support: Windows XP/2000/Me/98SE
Features: Support for writing DVD+R DL; Vertical operation possible, anti-dust seal.
Packaging: OEM Bulk Pack (No Software Included)

Model#: ND-2510A BGE
Item#: N82E16827152021

Is dual layer that important? The ratings for optorite is pretty good but not dual layer. nec2500a is single layer and nec2510a is dual layer and $20 more. If the NEC ND-2500a can easiy be upgraded to ND2510a, then why to spend $20 more?

Also What is the difference between nd-2510a bge and nd-2510a svr? both are at newegg.com. nd-2510a svr is a buck more than nd-2510a bge.
I have a 1.6ghz XP pro compaq computer with 512 ram 80gb hd. Does anyone have compatible issues with any of the burners?

your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
one more thing i am confused is all these have a 2mb buffer. How can a 2mb buffer burner burn 4.7gb in less than 10mins?
thanks

The firmware for the 2500A can be updated so that it could also write dual layer discs like the 2510A. However, this update is not guaranteed to work on all drives, so the 2500A you purchase might not support DL discs. The 2510A drives are guaranteed to support DL burning. I was faced with the same decision and went with the 2510A - the difference of $17 was not that significant given the official support for DL burning.

There is no performance difference at all between the BGE, SVR and BLK versions of the 2510A drives. The codes simply refer to the color of the faceplates - beige, silver and black respectively. Depending on current supply, newegg has slightly different prices for each of the three versions.

I personally would not advise buying the Optorite drive - the NEC drives have better reviews and firware support.

thank you for your reply.
the only concern other users have with 2510 is the cd read and write speed of 32x but i guess that’s good enough.
:slight_smile:
i will go with 2510a bge

me again
just one question before i jump to nec nd-2510a.
newegg.com has two of these listed
everything same but one is DVD+R DL
another is SW dvd+r9.
is there any diff between dvd+r dl and sw dvd+r9.

1. NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK, OEM BULK $87
  • Specifications -

Write Speed: 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW

NEC 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A SW BGE, OEM (limit 10 per customer) $89

• Specifications -

Write Speed: 2.4X Double Layer DVD+R9, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW

thanks for suggestion

dvd+r9=dvd+r dl

The two drives are identical with respect to performance and features. Apart from the difference in faceplate color, the ‘SW’ code for the second drive indicates that it comes with software (Roxio Easy Media Creator 7), while the first is just a bare drive. If you don’t already have a DVD burning/playing application, the additional $2 is a very cheap way to get the whole package. Roxio might not be the best application suite out there, but you can’t beat that price :slight_smile:

yogiman2003//
As mentioned above SW means “software included”. But I really want to keep my hand away from roxio products. (I never used the new version but the horrible experience with older versions… That was the only software that killed my current computer. The strongest virus wasn’t that bad… :Z )
Also I’m not sure how complete the bundle is… Nero express is quite often provided at such cheap price but can’t be compared with the full nero burning rom.

Finally, you still didn’t search all 2510A from newegg. They have beige @ 86$ and silver @ $87.
1$ doesn’t mean much. Personally I like (beige < black < silver) but your computer case color is something more to consider. A black drive in beige case… hmm… doesn’t look good.

cool
thanks a lot guys.
I’m not worried about the software. I already have powerdvd and windvd for players,
shrinkdvd for shrinking and burning etc… and some other to test when i get the drive.
also have nero 6 ultra edition and alcohol 120%
i’ll order 2510a today :slight_smile: