Optorite DD0203 failed flash

vbimport

Is there any way to repair an optorite ddo203 that is no longer recognised by the pc’s bios due to a bad flash.
I upgraded using the flash utility and firmware on the optorite site.Upon reboot as requested by the program the drive is no longer seen by the bios or pc.
Emails and calls to accupc and to optorite have been ignored,The drive is only 2 months old and they won’t exchange it for a new one.
Thanks

In situations like this, it’s always good to play the dumb customer. If they ask you if you flashed the drive, make sure you’re convincing them you don’t know what flashing is…

Anyhow: there is software out there that can flash firmware into a device, without that the BIOS nows the drive is there (the software writes directly to the IDE port, and with that, the device attached to it).

Check this link for firmware. I don’t know if the flash utilily that comes with it, DVFLASH.EXE (DOS only!) is capable of recovering your drive.

Otherwise, MTKFlash might be of help. If you’d do a search on MTKFlash on our forum, you’ll find lots of information…

Originally posted by toclay
Is there any way to repair an optorite ddo203 that is no longer recognised by the pc’s bios due to a bad flash.
I upgraded using the flash utility and firmware on the optorite site.Upon reboot as requested by the program the drive is no longer seen by the bios or pc.
Emails and calls to accupc and to optorite have been ignored,The drive is only 2 months old and they won’t exchange it for a new one.
Thanks

I had the same problem. I flashed the bios with version 2.16. It said it was completed without any problem and then the drive was dead upon reboot.

I had a very good experience with the manufacturer though. They got back to me in 1 day and said to return the drive to the reseller for warranty repair or to them if the reseller wouldn’t take it back. I would suggest you try to get ahold of your reseller or Optorite again.

I hope this is not wide spread. My Optorite was made in July 03 and came with firmware 2.09 installed. I flashed to 2.16 without incident. I agree with sending it back to the place where you bought it and just play dumb. Good luck.

Originally posted by toclay
Thanks

If this is still a problem contact me. I am in constant contact with Optorite and I will see what I can do for you.

cheers
nicw
author DvdinfoPro
www.dvdinfopro.com

I did a flash on a brand new drive that came with 2.09. I flashed using the Dangerous Brothers 2.15 RPC1 dos version.

Had to do it again because the flasher said it was flashed but after the verify said “OK” the little counter just stopped at 38.

Held my breath and rebooted anyway. Windows XP found the drive and it seems to be fine. So. Is there such a thing as a near miss?

regards,

Mike

Hello,

I have a serious problem with my IISONIC 8404 (2 led model)
which I think is the same as OPTORITE DD0203.

It was originally delivered with 2.16, then I upgraded it with 2.23 firmware from IISONIC website. (Upg OK)

but since I had several problems of non detected DVDs at the correct speed, I tried to flash it with the latest 2.50 (downloaded from Optorite website) Flash was successful but my problems remained the same.

Yesterday I found another issue and I decide to flash it back to 2.23. Downgrade began OK but stopped at 80 % with DVD door opened and the 2 leds remaining ON. I rebooted the Computer and of course my DVD Burner is not recognized anymore.

Could you help me please, I tried the MTKFLASH procedure described here (http://frederic.domens.free.fr/html/flash.html)
but unfortunatelly it does not seem to work, as this burner certainly does not have a MEDIATEK chipset. (Sanyo ??)

Now I do not know what to do. Does someone can help me please?

Many thanks in advance (Sorry about my english as I come from france)

Hi,

i recently tried to flash my own DD0203 drive to 2.50 and it failed. Drive tray open, no lights on, no longer recognised by the computer. The problem is Optorite’s Windows flasher! It’s one of the worst pieces of crap code ever written. And you’d think with all the returned drives they have to contend with they’d spend a little money to write a flash program that doesn’t have the potential of killing the drive!

You can now ONLY download a Windows version of the flasher and if you get lucky and it actually does flash your drive properly it’s still a scary experience. You never know if the thing is finished, or if you’re going to get an error, or even if it actually worked when it said it did. It always seems to return an “Error” dialog even when it actually did flash successfully!. What a piece of work these guys are. The drive does work okay if you get version 2.30 bios or higher, I can attest to that.

As I said my flash went bad, I had to email their tech support, they emailed me back, wanted all the details of when i bought it etc. and then they issued me an RMA. I had to send in a copyof my purchase receipt with the drive. They just emailed me this morning to say my drive (or some other replacement drive) was on it’s way back to me. next time I’m buying an NEC dual format burner, at least you don’t have the support problems with NEC that you do with Optorite, even though the NEC drives cost more.

Mike