Optorite DD0203 DVD¡ÓRW Drive

vbimport

Does anybody have thisdrive? Or heard of the brand before?

Features
¡E BURN-Proof: prevents Buffer Under Run
¡E HD-BURN: record twice the capacity of CD-R media
¡E 8 MB internal buffer
¡E Motorized easy touch tray loading
¡E Firmware upgradeable
¡E Installation: horizontal and vertical
¡E 4X Max. DVD+R and -R Write, 2.4X Max. DVD+RW Rewrite, 2X Max.
DVD-RW Rewrite, and 12X Max. DVD-ROM Reading
¡E 24X Max. CD-R Write, 10X Max. CD-RW Rewrite and 40X Max. CD-ROM Reading

It’s a Sanyo rebadged unit. Goes for $196.50 + free Fedex Saver. If it’s good, I might get my hands on it, but couldn’t find any reviews for it atm.

I installed one last weekend on my XP system and still can’t get it to work. The computer dosen’t see it as a DVD burner, just a DVDROM/CDR/RW and every time I can burn a cd it crashes the system when it finishes. Two e-mails to tech support have gone unanswered. Needless to say, a couple more days monkeying around with it and it will most likley go back. I’ll get the Pioneer 105. If you try it good luck! I have gotten no support (yet?), so make sure of the return policy before you buy.

Thanks for the feedback. That doesn’t sound so promising now. The guys over at CDRLabs have given it a try too and are having issues with it too. Guess I’ll either have to dig deep and get the Lite-On 400 unit or wait for the NEC 1100A to drop again. For some reason the latter unit jumped $15 in the past couple of days. Patience…

I’m a little surprised at the lack of discussion of this DVD burner here, probably because it is currently for sale in the US only, and only at a few internet outlets. Even NewEgg.com doesn’t carry it. At less than $200 without any rebate to deal with, this is really a good deal. The main issue with this drive, according to the links from both CDRLabs and AnandTech Hot Deal forums, is that the HD-burn function only works on a few brands of CD-R, and needs to use the latest version of Nero. It seems to burn DVDs (both + and - format) without any problem.

Since the included software is almost useless, it’s better to use other software with this model, therefore may not be a good choice for beginners.

I can’t make up my mind on whether to spend the extra $37 for the Optorite dual format or get the NEC ND1100A for $159 instead. Decisions, decisions.

For me, it’s a no brainer. Since DVD-R discs are cheaper at least for now and more compatible with standalone DVD players, it is more flexible to have a dual format burner around at this stage. I have a feeling the price for the + format media won’t drop much even though it’s gaining the market share rapidly. Sony/Philips like to maintain their monopoly power.

BTW, the Optorite burner does have 8MB buffer, but the current firmware can only recognize 4MB. It’s supposed to be updated in the future version.

Turns out Newegg has it too for $195 + $4 S/H. Mmmmm… cheese…