Optorite CD burner problems

Can anyone help me with this? I installed an OptoRite CW5201 into an old P2 running at 300 MHZ. very slow, I know. Followed instructions … the burner is the secondary master and the old Toshiba CD-ROM is secondary slave. Burned a couple of audio CDs using Nero 6.0 . Everything worked fine up to this point. Then went into Systems/device manager/CD-ROM etc. to check off DMA on the burner. Got a warning message about hardware problems which I ignored. After rebooting, the PC would only come up in safe mode. Tried to turn off DMA but this item was no longer present in device manager. I could not change the display from 4-bit 640 x 480 to (the previous) 16-bit 800 x 640. Removed the IDE plug from the back of the Optorite THEN I could bring up the normal display. Next boot up ( with only the burner connected ) the computer would not go past the W-98SE “splash page”. Disconnected the burner again while the computer was on and the display continues and everything appears to be normal. Have I done some firmware damage? Also got a hardware conflict with the sound card which resulted in a message saying that the sound card was not installed. This occured when I tried to plug in the CD-ROM as primary slave and play an audio CD. I erased the sound card driver from hardware manager and used PnP to reinstall it. Anyway the sound card seems to be working again but the burner isn’t. Help!

Werner
Regina
Canada