Optodisc DVD+R possible flaw

vbimport

Was messing around with some Optodisc DVD+R 4x and noticed that most of the discs in this 25ct spindle have what appears to be air bubbles between the 2 plastic layers near the center hole.
any body else see this on any DVD’s? I looked at all the other brands I have here and saw nothing like this. I suspect it might lead to eventual separation of the layers and a dead disc, but who knows.

I’ve seen that on many disc types, most low quality discs but also on some higher quality discs like Verbatim.

Yes it may cause problems in the long run, to early to say.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Was messing around with some Optodisc DVD+R 4x and noticed that most of the discs in this 25ct spindle have what appears to be air bubbles between the 2 plastic layers near the center hole.
any body else see this on any DVD’s? I looked at all the other brands I have here and saw nothing like this. I suspect it might lead to eventual separation of the layers and a dead disc, but who knows.

I had the same problem on at least 4 small spindles from CompUSA 2.4 +R media (Optodisk):frowning: . Sometime I would get verification errors with those same disks. I noticed them more so with the frosted center hub over their newer clear center hubs that I recently tried.

I haven’t had good luck with any of the cheap sale CompUSA -R and +R media in the Liteon 411s, OTOH I haven’t had a problem yet with the +RW media that I know of yet.

This is not a problem from dvd-r or dvd-r only.

I got a few original dvds by FOX or Columbia with these problems.

A few phillips DVD+R’s (cmc mag) I’ve burned had these bubbles on the hub. Doesn’t seem to be affecting recording or playback right now. But who knows about future usage, I’ll keep an eye on it.

Picked up 6 x 10 pack spindles of CompUSA DVD+R media (Optodisk) and 5 of the 6 spindles showed delamination of the center hub:( , I guess thats why they were $4.99 a spindle.

I’ve burned some of the delaminated disk before and they seem okay as far as the data integrity.

The biq question would be to determine if the delamination will continue to expand into the dye area. Let’s hope they don’t delaminate any further.

I’ve noticed that one common cause of damage to the center hole area of CDR and DVD is the jewel and movie cases with the “snap-in” clips. Pulling a disc off of these clips can cause cracks, etc. if you’re not careful.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I’ve noticed that one common cause of damage to the center hole area of CDR and DVD is the jewel and movie cases with the “snap-in” clips. Pulling a disc off of these clips can cause cracks, etc. if you’re not careful.

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for that. These flaws were found in fresh 10 pack spindles, they were never put in jewel cases. Some of the defects extend out almost to the dye area. I’ll burn a few to check them for errors and if they’re ok keep them or return to CompUSA as defects.