Optodisc 8x @ 4x only w/ 4120B (fw:112)!?

I just bought 25 of Optodisc 8x [DVD+R:OPTODISC-OR8-000]

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:OPTODISC-OR8-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Optodisc Technology Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [OPTODISC]
Media Type ID : [OR8]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Disc Application Code : [General Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [Not Supported By Method 2]

but my 4120B w/ FW:112 only let me burns at 4x using Nero. Nero’s InfoTool reported “Supported Speeds: 4.0X” for the same DVD+R. WHY?

Would using FW:111 help?

update: NO. I just flashed back to 111 and Nero still reports 4x speed only. What seems to be the problem? Is it Nero’s fault? or the LG firmware thinks the media is of too bad quality and should only be burn at 4x??

thx

Those are crappy discs. Use higher quality discs and you will be able to burn them at their specifyed speed.

Adi

Damn, this drive is picky! :frowning:

It may be picky, but would you prefer to have a burn that reads for 6 months, or a burn that will last for a few years? It is a HUGE difference and a good trade off. I would prefer quality over speed anyday.

so where can i find out which 8x DVD±R’s are compatible with LG 4120B?
… thx

Ritek +R works fine 8x with my 4120B. But I don´t know how long they will last:-)

So burning with cheap media in high speed (8x), even if it is verified to be 100% okay, has lower life expectancy than burning with good media in same speed?

Burning ANY cheap media, will give you a low life expectancy. Stick with QUALITY media, or you will pay the price in the months to come. Learn from our mistakes, the pioneers of the trade. We made all the mistakes that you newbies are pulling, and we are speaking from experience :slight_smile: So pick up some TY media if you can, and you will be happy that your dvd’s will still be read years from now, with proper storage of course :slight_smile:

Try firmware A104, I had the same problem with TDK 8x ( see http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=115040 ) and with A104 Nero now reports correctly the 8x speed. ( and more important, the burn quality seems good).

That’s pure bullshit, I’ve never bought expensive media and I have never had any problems of media duration. Stop trying to justify the loss of money you make by buying verbatim media. Oh wait, I have had some media crumbling problems and it was with a Verbatim medium. So please don’t freak out people for nothing.

Riiiiiiight. Bullshit my ass. You obviously didn’t have any Princo media peel off on you. You either got lucky or you don’t know what you’re talking about. Buy quality media if you care about your data, else buy whatever you want. I couln’t care less. Just don’t spew BS like that on the forums.

Adi

many discs are not really rated for the speed they claim. as an example ritek g05 is actually a X4 disc with a X8 burn strategy. LG does not like overburning as it may result in quality loss. this might also be the case with optodisc. if overburning is what intersts you get the BENQ1620 or even 3500A which will burn you verbatim X4 for example at X8.

As for media. get a good one. the ty, verbatim, ricoh price is not only due to the “name”. it is about the quality of the raw materials (e.g. dye), the finish and the longevity. furthermore, they are not too expensive today anyway. if price is an issue, get ritekg04 for unimportant staff and quality media for staff you care about.