Optiplex GX280 modding question about Riser Card

If anyone here has experenc ewith Dell modding…

I am currently modding an Optiplex GX280 out of the original case into customized case. I have some questions regarding the PCI looking Riser Card.
BTW, the board I have is the Small Desktop System Board

1. Is this also a regular PCI slot, can I place regular PCI cards there, for example say a better sound card from the SB series, obviously I would disable onboard Audio.

2. This PCI-like Riser slot has a Riser extension, which provides two PCI slots at a perpendicular angle, which face an awkward direction when fitting into a regular style case. I was thinking to get PCI flexible extender’s, and use added peripheral cards that way.
    –Also, how long of a Flex Extender can this board support if anyone knows, because the website where I am looking has them in lenghts of 3", 4", 5" & 8" bnut the 8inch and the 5inch flex cable have a small warning that this lenght might not work with all devices.
    Flex Extenders

The devices I am considering is a Creative SB Live audigy an a TV Card, anyone have any experience with this?

guess not too many owners of this model huh

You do realise that it’s probably cheaper/as expensive (and safer) to get a simple matx mainboard?

//Danne

Wow xtacydima, that’s a strange one. The only riser card slots I’ve ever seen don’t resemble a PCI slot at all, it’s only the small riser slot, not nearly large enough to fit any pci card in. But I don’t ever buy dell or any other systems, just build my own. I’m not sure, but it seems if they made it to fit a pci card, then maybe it will work otherwise why would they add the extra size of the slot.

You might just have to try any old pci card in it and see if it works. Maybe someone else who has that computer could help. I’m assume you probably already checked dell’s website to find out, or I’d recommend that. Can’t help at all about the retrofitting either, sorry. Hopefully someone else with that same board can help you, but you’re right, probably not too many owners of that here.

That board costs 100% more than my entire system I acquired :wink:
Further, the Foxconn board DeLL rebadgsed is MUCH better.

I dunno, thinking of keeping the Riser and just getting the Flex PCI extenders at this point, it’s just too much to chance a burn out.

xtacydima
I was more thinking of the raiser card…
//Danne

Please elaborate, the link you supplied is to purchase an ASRock Board, which doesn’t come with a Riser card???
Confused here

1. This PCI-like Riser slot has a Riser extension, which provides two PCI slots at a perpendicular angle, which face an awkward direction when fitting into a regular style case. I was thinking to get PCI flexible extender’s, and use added peripheral cards that way.

Wouldn’t this “thing” cost as much as a new mainboard roughly and possibly affect stability?
//Danne