Option for ImgBurn to Select DL Break Automatically?

I’m now using ImgBurn with DVDfab 6010 since I find it’s producing better burns than the built-in VSO engine. YMMV. However, one “annoyance” with ImgBurn is that I haven’t been able to find an option to have it automatically select the place to put the DL break. With a Pioneer 216 as the rip drive, and a 112 as the writer, I really miss being able to load up the drives, and then come back with the whole job done, no in-between intervention required by me.

Given my limited knowledge of ripping and burning, I figure ImgBurn would know more about the right place to insert the break, than I would. Does anyone know the screen or parameter where I could specify to ImgBurn for it to do its magic automatically? Using ImgBurn 2440. The helpful guide referenced in a poster’s sig seems to be out of date re: screens, BTW.

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2282445]I’m now using ImgBurn with DVDfab 6010 since I find it’s producing better burns than the built-in VSO engine. YMMV. However, one “annoyance” with ImgBurn is that I haven’t been able to find an option to have it automatically select the place to put the DL break. With a Pioneer 216 as the rip drive, and a 112 as the writer, I really miss being able to load up the drives, and then come back with the whole job done, no in-between intervention required by me.

Given my limited knowledge of ripping and burning, I figure ImgBurn would know more about the right place to insert the break, than I would. Does anyone know the screen or parameter where I could specify to ImgBurn for it to do its magic automatically? Using ImgBurn 2440. The helpful guide referenced in a poster’s sig seems to be out of date re: screens, BTW.[/QUOTE]

An input from you is needed for the layer break, however you can reduce the amount of selection you have to choose from by going into DVDFab’s common settings-> “Protection” and uncheck the box to remove layer break.
I will update my sig to reflect the newer ImgBurn pages soon :wink:

as of now no but maybe if we ask enough times LUK might work on it.

here are a few post taken from this thread
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f153/problems-using-imgburn-251209/

[QUOTE=troy512;2115922]or use Clone Mode and the original layer break will be preserved. :slight_smile:

tdonahue_nj,

thanks for bringing this information to the forum. as i recommend using ImgBurn with DVDFab, however i do not burn DL disc so i was unaware of the need to select layer break. i thought that ImgBurn would auto-select the appropriate layer break.

cynthia_old,

nice guides by the way, thank you.

is there a method to have ImgBurn auto-select the layer break when input is Video_TS? as the burning of SL media is seamless with dvdfab and i would hope the same ability is available for DL media.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2116634]As the layer break is a physical thing on the media, you can’t guess where it was in the VIDEO_TS file set when all you’re working with is a bunch of files.

You can use the ‘Tools’ -> ‘Drive’ -> ‘Display IFO Layer Break Information’ option to get an idea of which cell the original content was split at.

The dialog that pops up will show you the physical LB position (as an LBA address), it’s down to you to then find that same LBA in the list.

Once you’ve found out where it was split you can look for the same VTS/PGC/Cell when you’re building your new image and the box pops up.

Of course the whole process of keeping the same LB on your new disc is made much easier if you read the source disc to an image via Read mode and then burn it back without modification via Write mode.

Don’t forget that keeping the ‘virtual’ LB (as in, VTS/PGC/Cell) when you’re using DVD-R DL is VERY unlikely to be possible unless you use Build mode… and even then it’ll only work if there’s enough free space to move all the files around and insert the required amount of padding. You will not be able to maintain the exact same physical LB position from source -> destination disc unless the source was also a DVD-R DL.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=troy512;2117833]thank you for your reply LUK. :slight_smile:

my understanding is that if the source is video_ts folder then there must always have selection of layer break. is this correct?

the ripping program of discussion will output ISO and MDS before calling ImgBurn, when using Clone Mode. However there are other ripping options which allow the changing of playback options. if wanting to call on ImgBurn [not save to hard drive and burn later] using the Full Disc mode the default temp file is video_ts folder.

so i guess ultimately would it be easy for you to add an option to auto-select the layer break [add a option in settings which is off by default]. or should i contact the ripping program author to see about temporary ISO instead of video_ts?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LIGHTNING UK!;2117893]Yeah, you can’t guess (100% accurately) at the relationship between the physical layer break and the virtual one in a VIDEO_TS folder, that’s why it’s left for the user to decide (after previewing each available point with the built-in previewer feature).

I guess I could implement some sort of ‘best guess’ functionality but the program will never be able to pick the most aesthetically pleasing one (except by fluke) as it doesn’t have any eyes to actually analyse what’s being played. :p[/QUOTE]

Good answers! A follow-up question, though. How come VSO (encapsulated in DVDfab) does the layer break automatically, if it’s more a science than an absolute?

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2282486]Good answers! A follow-up question, though. [B]How come VSO (encapsulated in DVDfab) does the layer break automatically,[/B] if it’s more a science than an absolute?[/QUOTE]

I’m not really sure and can only give my .02 cents on this…
If you leave the the layer break by having the check box un-checked in common settings-> Protection then DVDFab will use the orignal layer break that has been set on the disc according to the DVD structure, if you choose to remove the orignal layer break DVDFab will re-calculate the layer break according to the layer break data that is located on the disc or half the length of the video.

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2282445]I’m now using ImgBurn with DVDfab 6010 since I find it’s producing better burns than the built-in VSO engine. YMMV. However, one “annoyance” with ImgBurn is that I haven’t been able to find an option to have it automatically select the place to put the DL break.

Given my limited knowledge of ripping and burning, I figure ImgBurn would know more about the right place to insert the break, than I would. Does anyone know the screen or parameter where I could specify to ImgBurn for it to do its magic automatically? Using ImgBurn 2440. The helpful guide referenced in a poster’s sig seems to be out of date re: screens, BTW.[/QUOTE]

Another situation you might run into w/IMGBURN is ‘the end of the world’ problem, this is where IMGBURN cannot find a place to put the break in DL dvd disks. There is a solution to this situation however (see further on) what will happen if this occurs is a pop up screen will appear before burning starts whete it will say there are no cells for which put put the break in…technically this is the end of the world…

But there is a program called vobblanker which very easily will allow one to split a cell where the break should be (this information is supplied in the IMGBURN message) and then one re-runs IMGBURN and the problem is solved. SEE: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6376&view=findpost&p=64481.

cheers:cool:

Well, the comments got me thinking. Would it be better to leave the layer break alone, rather than setting it each time? Would there be any downside to doing this?

All I’m doing is straight copies (top menu item) to back up my DVDs, removing the cp and enabling path player.

Another question: one of my previous copies is wearing out (scratches, etc., although it’s playing fine now). How can I do a straight copy of that (no need to deal with cp, since was removed originally)? Would any DVD copy program work, like K3B? Or would it be better to dig out the original and redo the backup again with DVDfab6?

I would leave the LB alone.

Also, just use a good copy tool in that case.

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2283155]Well, the comments got me thinking. Would it be better to leave the layer break alone, rather than setting it each time? Would there be any downside to doing this?

All I’m doing is straight copies (top menu item) to back up my DVDs, removing the cp and enabling path player.

Another question: one of my previous copies is wearing out (scratches, etc., although it’s playing fine now). How can I do a straight copy of that (no need to deal with cp, since was removed originally)? Would any DVD copy program work, like K3B? Or would it be better to dig out the original and redo the backup again with DVDfab6?[/QUOTE]

Youcan leave the layer break intact which has no downside, however if you use ImgBurn as the burn engine you will still be asked to make a choice and there is an advantage to this.

However if you wish to not have to make any choices or input from you then you will have to use the VSO burn engine or Nero.

I never remove the layer break if the file or disc content is >6GB, +/-. Neither ImgBurn nor any of my players have had a problem with this. It does result in the occasional 60/40 split. Trust the pretty colored stars.

[QUOTE=signals;2283192]I never remove the layer break if the file or disc content is >6GB, +/-. Neither ImgBurn nor any of my players have had a problem with this. It does result in the occasional 60/40 split. [B]Trust the pretty colored stars[/B].[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

[QUOTE=burpnrun;2283155]Well, the comments got me thinking. Would it be better to leave the layer break alone, rather than setting it each time? Would there be any downside to doing this?
[/QUOTE]

As stormjumper and signals have stated trust the colored stars, IMGBURN is an excellent app - I believe one of the best for burning… I try to pick one of the best stars w/ the least amount of padding(shown in table), don’t be afraid to go with the recommendations.:iagree:

These guys are right. I have had a layer break issue with Imgbrn but I find in my situation I copy to my hd then use build mode in Imgbrn and get a better layer break than using vso in dvdfab. Yes the stars are good.

Have to thank SJ on that one.