Optimum write speed & the best burn engine

vbimport

hi,
i was just going thru the various threads.Am a bit confused regarding the optimum write speed in DVDFAB…am currently using slowest.
Also what about the burn engine…i am currently using the default VSO burn engine( hv not had much problems with it…) shud i switch over to Imgburn ? is it more compatible with the stand alone dvd players? i hv two–sony& upscaling philips.

[quote=rohiniro;2136728]hi,
i was just going thru the various threads.Am a bit confused regarding the optimum write speed in DVDFAB…am currently using slowest.
Also what about the burn engine…i am currently using the default VSO burn engine( hv not had much problems with it…) shud i switch over to Imgburn ? is it more compatible with the stand alone dvd players? i hv two–sony& upscaling philips.[/quote]
You should not be using the slowest as that might cause a bad burn. You should burn at half the rated speed for not so good media. If you are using good media like verbatim or taiyo yuden then you can burn at the rated speed or one speed lower than the rated. AS for the burn engine I use VSO for double layer discs, nero for single layer discs and ImgBurn to burn ISO files to disc. Others will post more for you later

I suggest you take a look in the following thread in or [I]Blank Media[/I] forum:

[B]Did you know: [/B][B]Slow write speeds + modern drives + modern media = no good[/B]

With most modern desktop DVD burners and 16x rated DVD media, the burn speeds that provide the best chance of a good result tend to be 6x, 8x or 12x. You can either experiment to find the best speed with your combination of DVD burner and media, or pick something that will probably work.

I burn most of my DVDs at 8x with a few exceptions where 6x or 12x is better.

If you have older 8x rated DVD media, the optimal burn speed in desktop DVD burners is usually either 8x or 6x.

If you have a laptop DVD burner, the optimal burn speed is usually not the maximum speed of the drive (8x) but one or two speeds lower, i.e. 6x or 4x. If you don’t want to spend time testing, I suggest using 4x burn speed for laptop DVD burners.

[quote=rohiniro;2136728]hi,
Also what about the burn engine…i am currently using the default VSO burn engine( hv not had much problems with it…) shud i switch over to Imgburn ? is it more compatible with the stand alone dvd players? i hv two–sony& upscaling philips.[/quote]With DVDFab I use ImgBurn for DLs, VSO for SL. In Common Settings->Write, select an exact burn speed, not “Recommended”. A good rule of thumb is to use the slower of half the rated speed of the blank media or your optical drive. As DrageMester pointed out, this is not universally true: Verbatim 8X DLs produce higher quality burns in my LG drive at 6X than at 4X. If you haven’t had any problems, why change anything? :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention that my recommendations were for Single Layer (4.7 GB) DVD media, not for Double/Dual Layer (8.5 GB) DVD media.

For DVD DL media I’ll let others make the recommendations, since I use far less DL media than SL media.

you can post a log so we can see what you have going on. then do some burns at various speeds and quality scans at 8x using cd-dvd speed. post the results and we can decipher them for you. :slight_smile:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=4570&s=446
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/

quality scans are not the only measure of a good burn but its a good starting point.

for SL I use Verbatims rated at 16x, but burn at 8x, using Roxio creator plus dell edition. I use that because it is reliable & has an easy to use drag & drop interface.

My Roxio software can’t burn .ISO but I rarely burn ISO, I like to see exactly what I’m getting so I use DVDFAB to create a customised VIDEO_TS folder & burn that. BY doing it that way I can also add some non DVD data e.g. a folder.jpg or text file to the output DVD.
for DL I use Verbatims rated at 2.4 and burn at 2.4 using IMGBURN
for rewriteables ( I have panasonics & Verbatims, both rated at 4) I burn with Roxio, which actually burns them at about 4.5 but they work fine.

I always verify burns, for peace of mind. The verify feature in DVDfab is extremely slow but the ones in Roxio & IMGBURN are pretty good