Optimum burn speed

vbimport

I need to burn a lot of music files to archive.
I’m using Taiyo Yuden 52X /80 min cdr.

What speed should I burn at? I know if you ask 10 people, you’ll get 10 different answers.
Or more realistically–what’s the best method of testing to determine the best speed for my particular setup?

there is no universal answer , it all depends on the media & how your burner likes it and youll need to do your tests to figure it out meaning burning same data preferably between 697-702mb at various speeds and testing the writing quality with nero cd-dvd speed or kprobe if its a liteon drive but not every burner supports quality scanning also latest firmware might improve writing quality with certain mediacodes and its best to use 80wires ide cable in most cases it improves the writing quality alot

Thanks. Just in “ballpark” terms, how many test burns should I make, and at what speeds?

Yo-

Why don’t you tell us what burner you are using - firmware revision - your cpu - operating system, burning software, etc (see my signature below for example)

Mike

in my opinion 7 at 52x/48x/40x/32x/24x/16x/12x speeds

I’ve got a very picky car stereo that is only happy to play TY CD (actually Verbatim Pastels). I burn these at the max speed of my Liteon CD writer (40x). No problems experienced. I think media is far more important than burn speed.

Sorry–good idea.

(LG) HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B internal CD/DVD combo drive;
Win XP SP1; Pentium 4 CPU 2.60Ghz; 111GB; Sonic RecordNow! v.6

and I forgot to add…

what error-testing programs are recommended?
Much obliged.

as i said in my first reply not all drives support quality scanning and unfortunatly lg drives do not support this feature and its firmware depended so no software can help ,so i guess youll never know unless youll buy a drive that supports quality scanning

Disappointing, but thanks anyway for that info.
It saved me a bunch of time downloading, installing + trying software that would be of no use to me.