Optimal Print Quality for Media Covers?

Hi i’m interested in printing covers for my media collection (DVD,PS2,etc) and i would like to know how could i achieve quality next to the ones of the original media.

Which printer shall I use, which software, and what kind of papers and inks, are things i’m concerned with.

Can anybody make any suggestions?

You don’t need much of a printer. DVD inserts are comparable to the bond type printing used in magazines, which translates to about 150 DPI. Just use decent paper and you’re good. Any photo-quality paper is fine, since it all looks the same once it’s under a plastic DVD case sleeve. For extra quality for inserts and such, look at HP glossy double-sided brochure paper.

Thank you for your reply.

Well i already got a Canon Pixma IP3300 but i was wondering if that’s enough.

-How do i set it to print nice quality, so that you can barely notice any noise? I have tried printing on the past with other printers and plain white paper but you can notice the difference right away compared to the commercial covers that appear on the originally purchased DVD’s. [B]Will the photographic paper do all th difference or are there other factors i should take into account?[/B]

-Also any estimate as to ink usage? What percentage of ink is used per Cover? Cause i hear inkjet are seemingly ink thirsty and purchasing new ink is costly.

The IP3300 is a capable printer, probably adequate to the task although it will not give you really deep blacks on photo paper.

I use inexpensive HP coated 2-sided inkjet premium paper and have been very happy with it. And no, regular (plain) paper will not get the job done. Use the photo paper settings when printing, either matte or gloss settings according to the paper you use. Heavy-weight glossy photo papers will also look great, but tend to be too heavy for case inserts. The 2-sided brochure papers from HP seem to give the best all-around results. But the less costly premium inkjet paper is also quite good (matte finish).

How much ink is used depends on what is being printed. The IP3300 is one of the cheapest printers to run there is.

Does that mean that if the covers are not of high resolution there well be differentiations and possible noise on dark areas or thy just wont be black enough and they will appear more greyish?

I use inexpensive HP coated 2-sided inkjet premium paper and have been very happy with it. And no, regular (plain) paper will not get the job done. Use the photo paper settings when printing, either matte or gloss settings according to the paper you use. Heavy-weight glossy photo papers will also look great, but tend to be too heavy for case inserts. The 2-sided brochure papers from HP seem to give the best all-around results. But the less costly premium inkjet paper is also quite good (matte finish).

Do you have any link of the paper you’re using? The cheapest i can find from where i’m shopping is this

http://www.e-shop.gr/show_ana.phtml?id=ANA.MIR50004

Also about the “gsm” indication, how does the number translate? Is it better to be thin so it can be smoother or deeper so it can aborb better the ink?

How much ink is used depends on what is being printed. The IP3300 is one of the cheapest printers to run there is.

So roughly, will printing 100 covers consume half my ink or Am i way out?

I have no idea what paper is available where you are. Any premium inkjet paper should suffice. Preferably medium weight, not light weight.

You might get 100 covers from a set of tanks, it all depends on what’s on them.

The IP3300 does not have photo black ink, so it uses the 3 colors to make black on photo papers. The result is a very dark brownish black. Whether it’s adequate is up to you. Most folks think it is.

Ok if there’s nothing more to be said, i’d like to say thanx for providing me your input.