Optimal Burning speed?

vbimport

I read that the best speed to burn DVD’s is actually the medium speed. What would the medium speed be in my case? (I am trying to burn a PS2 game at optimal speed)

I am using TDK DVD-R 4.7GB discs.

I don’t know what brand my built-in drive is, it just says ‘Super Multidrive’ on the cover.

4x is the lowest speed on the drive, and I don’t know what the highest speed is. Any assistance would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

There are several different ways to find out the exact model drive that you have. You can look in Device Manager and find the list of CD/DVD drives and tell us the exact make and model drive from there.

You can use a free burning program called ImgBurn. www.imgburn.com It will list lots of information about your drive. Look under Tools->Drive->Capabilities.
Once we know the exact model you have, we can advise you better.

As a general rule, 8x is a safe speed for burning modern 16x media. Sometimes you might have a combination of burner and blank media that works slightly better at 12x.

Generally the mid speed referred to is the middle speed of the media. 4X for 8X media, 8X for 16X media, etc. CDs are best burned at 16 to 24X.

I looked it up on ImgBurn, my drive model is HL-DL-ST DVDRAM_GSA-H60N CA01

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2469896] As a general rule, 8x is a safe speed for burning modern 16x media. Sometimes you might have a combination of burner and blank media that works slightly better at 12x.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2469899]Generally the mid speed referred to is the middle speed of the media. 4X for 8X media, 8X for 16X media, etc. CDs are best burned at 16 to 24X.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the quick replies and advice!

Your drive is made by LG and is a 16x burner (top speed). If you are going to use mediocre media in it like TDK, I’d definitely stick to 8x speed with them.

We generally recommend Verbatim 16x blank media as a safe choice for good quality. Taiyo Yuden is also good, though harder to find at retail outlets.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2469905]Your drive is made by LG and is a 16x burner (top speed). If you are going to use mediocre media in it like TDK, I’d definitely stick to 8x speed with them.

We generally recommend Verbatim 16x blank media as a safe choice for good quality. Taiyo Yuden is also good, though harder to find at retail outlets.[/QUOTE]

If I were to use Verbatim 16x blank media, then should I use a different speed? I am more than willing to switch to higher quality discs if it means they are more reliable. :slight_smile:

8x would work fine with Verbatim. I burn most of my single layer disks at that speed, though I have found that my Optiarc 7240s does a little better at 12x with Verbatim 16x +R disks. So it depends on the burner, which firmware you are using and the media.

Members of this site tend to test their burns and find the right combination. You won’t be able to do that very well using an LG, since it doesn’t support quality scans. You can run transfer rate tests with it though.
You can still download Nero CD/DVD Speed for testing from here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_cd_speed.cfm
Most people find this process overkill, and don’t bother. 8 or 12x should be fine using Verbatim.