Optical SATA Device not booting

Hi guys, i am having a very strange problem when booting on my newly purchased DVD±RW drive.

first i’ll shot with the specs:

Asus A7V600-X board with the last updated BIOS.
4 unused/disabled PATA/IDE ports.
2 SATA ports.
the chipset is a VIA VT8237 and this is what i found out about my SATA/RAID options: 2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, 1 function

my first disc is a Western Digital Raptor, untouched in jumpers, it’s just normal, i think it’s on RAID 0, just imagine the simplest configuration to install an XP system on it. the optical disc and the problem maker is an unmarked device called HL-DT-STDVD±RW GSA-H31L on the SATA table (yes, the SATA BIOS detects it, even though when i enter it it says no drive or whatever), the device appears to be an LG, thats what google says so far.

so far so good, 1st boot option is SCSI/ATA Boot Rom, and the rest are disabled, i always booted this way to my HDD OS, but now the HDD is empty and i bought this damn DVD-RW with the hope to intall my vista on it, and at the end, SURPRISE, the device does not boot at all.

to isolate the problem, i can give you these answers:

it’s detected by the VIA SATA BIOS
it’s detected with bootable cd’s (included an IDE CD-ROM to test around), it’s totally usable on Linux Live CD’s and self made BartPE CD’s.

to isolate more options, here are some results:

if both, HD and DVD on the SATA ports are connected, i get the missing NTLDR error which means “dude, wtf is ur OS?”

if only DVD is on ANY of the SATA ports, alone, then it says DISK FAILURE…the long error, the error one gets only if there’s not drive at all.

to clear things out, the booting priority list on the BIOS, as mentioned before, is targeted to the SCSI/ATA Boot Rom, which basically means boot from SATA devices, and there’s no option to choose which port/drive to boot from, and on the VIA RAID BIOS, after entering, i can just see the information inside, i cant edit anything, the only option that works is ESC, and i can clearly see there’s a menu called BOOT ARAY, i have never in my life used RAID options so im totally uninformed regarding what the difference between a RAID0 and RAID1 is.

anyway, some help would do my ego good, i hope i dont get replys similar to what a friend of mine said “you need special drivers” :eek:

The problem lies with the VIA chipset that handles the SATA ports. It doesn’t work well with optical drives. You either get a PCI-SATA controller card or IDE drive.

Hi,[QUOTE=PlutoDelic;2278445]Hi guys, i am having a very strange problem when booting on my newly purchased DVD±RW drive.

first i’ll shot with the specs:

Asus A7V600-X board with the last updated BIOS.
4 unused/disabled PATA/IDE ports.
2 SATA ports.
the chipset is a VIA VT8237 and this is what i found out about my SATA/RAID options: 2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, 1 function[/quote]I have no idea what Asus did with their Bios, but normally, you should be able to configure the Sata controller to Sata (=nonRaid) or Raid (where you get additional options).

But anyway: forget using a Sata optical drive on earlier Via Sata controllers and chipsets.
As already stated by KTL, your options are either using a PCI Sata controller card (preferred: Silicon Image chipset, non-Raid version) or replacing that drive by a Pata drive.

Michael