Optical Mouse Problem

vbimport

My new pc has an optical mouse that lites up red and blue. It seems pretty generic; the only possible identity I can see is “LITE-UP” and some numbers.

There are two problems:

Slop between the wheel itself and the encoder part (easy to fix)

-and-

The scrolling jumps up and down several spaces when I’m scrolling in only one direction. It also ignores scrolling clicks sometimes.

It is this latter problem I need advice on. I took it apart and cleaned out some dust bunnies and hair, gave it a good visual inspection, but it is still doing that. I can feel the indents on the encoder and they feel firm. Don’t know what else to look at.

Anyone have any experience with something like that?

Thanks,
G.

I don’t know what causses it, but I found what fixes it: rebooting (but not always). Someone said that that can help, but the first time I did, it didn’t help. This morning, it works fine.

Just giving general problems and no complete model number or make doesn’t help to identify what the problem is to begin with???

M-088UP
LITE-UP
Rev9-2
S/N 091014200
FCC (symbol)
“CE”

There’s not another word on the mouse. Any help?

That sounds like a inexpensive mouse if so go and buy a better mouse that might work alot better then spending more to get a name brand mouse that will work better. Sounds like your mouse is of poor quality. Where did you buy it and how old is that mouse?

This is what came with my “new” pc. When I got it home and tried to hook up the old mouse and kb, I discovered it had no holes to plug them into; it was all USB. I called the comp place and they rushed a mouse and kb to me. That’s how I got it. There was no software with it, as it was used.

But, since rebooting fixed it, I doubt it has anything to do with the mouse itself, but rather, it is a software glitch. It’s been fine ever siince.:slight_smile:

Thanks!
G.

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2684982]This is what came with my “new” pc. When I got it home and tried to hook up the old mouse and kb, I discovered it had no holes to plug them into; it was all USB. I called the comp place and they rushed a mouse and kb to me. That’s how I got it. There was no software with it, as it was used.

But, since rebooting fixed it, I doubt it has anything to do with the mouse itself, but rather, it is a software glitch. It’s been fine ever siince.:slight_smile:

Thanks!
G.[/QUOTE]

Without a test basis to go on that is hard to say what was the cause but any generic mouse will always under par compared to a regular brand mouse and drivers for the mouse to work.

But the colors are pretty…

If you get a dongle you could probably use your old mouse.

I usually use a pretty basic Microsoft USB mouse . When it gets the skipping problem I open it & clean the cat hair out of the shutter wheel.

I believe there are two kinds of mice for computers, those made by Logitech and those you should leave where you find them.

“Optical mice” that use a mechanical ball? in my area of responsibility
if you don’t want it smashed you’d better hide it really well or keep it locked in a safe.

I personally use a Trackman wheel mouse, the sadly discontinued
"wired" kind, it never needs batteries.

frustrations caused by mice are easily fixed… by introducing the cheap troublesome mouse to another innovation… a trash bin.

Of course it’s also fun to swing it over your head like a Bolo and cast it into the nearest concrete wall… WEAR SAFETY GLASSES the pieces really fly around…

I’ve used several of those wireless mice, and they all crap out at the most inopportune times, no matter how good they are. Whether that’s due to a driver issue or battery life, still its a pain. In fact just today my g/f’s wireless optical mouse was acting up. I had to use the flipping track pad instead. Ugh.

I’m usually a fan of Logitech. However, I actually like my wired MS optical mouse that I got on sale as a keyboard/mouse combo. No problems with it and it feels better in my hand than the crappy Dell mouse that came with my system. Although those transparent acrylic and white acrylic mice from Apple a few years ago were probably the most uncomfortable pieces of doody I’ve ever used. But it looks stylish! Big deal.

On my main computer i use a Microsoft X09-13962 Basic Optical Mouse USB/PS/2 Compatible . Except for ocassionally needing the cat fur cleaned out of the wheel shutter it is very dependable
On my old backup computer Microsoft x802382-18 Wheel Mouse optical USB
& PS/2 compatible . It has a dongle from USB to PS/2 . Works well also.
For the laptop mainly & if I just want to use a wireless I have a Verbatim 96897
2.4Ghz Notebook optical . Also seems to work well.
Maybe I’m just lucky in this.