Optical media can't be on it's way out... Can it?

Here’s something that’s lost me. I’ve read in several of the forums that optical media - I.e. Anything read by a laser so CDs and DVDs, etc. are slowly being ousted out from the market.

Alarm bells rang for me as it got me thinking, all these DVDs I was burning like no tommorow, what if, say in ten years time, they will disappear and no burner will support them? Will I have to do yet ANOTHER format transfer to keep up with the Jonses?

It can’t be on it’s way out JUST yet… I know for transferring documents optical media, compared to pen sticks, memory cards and portable hard drives, optical media suddenly becomes cumbersome, outdated, and requires breakable moving parts for the reader to spin the disc. Okay fair play, it is a tad cumbersome, but for some reason can’t go the same way as the floppy, or even the ill-fated Jaz drive (Remember those?)

Why? Because one reason, it’s digital, doesn’t fall prone to magnitism like floppies, can store a conviently amount of data onto a single CD-R/W or DVD+/-RW and these discs go so cheap they are practically throwaway cheap, and plus it’s a consumer format which is a viewing medium on standalone DVD players/recorders and also a listening medium on CD players. Jaz, for example, was purely a computer medium, and I think these now obscure formats are because of that, they didn’t have the flexibility of what optical media does.

A blank CD or DVD for me would be great for archival data, if stored correctly and using quality discs which are easily duplictable. Ideally, you can’t give copies of pen sticks because they are expensive, but you can run clones of discs.

For example, my mates dad… Er, mate, owns a warehouse for blank optical media and other computer accessories, and he gave me a spindle of 50 blank Bulkpaq DVD-Rs for just £5, which works out to be 10p per disc. This is great for everyday and backup copies, or even copies you give to friends and families. Pen sticks are for computer only, really.

I would rather have a bunch of CDs/DVDs in my box as opposed to several pen sticks where backup copies can be done for pennies than just one pen stick. What if this pen stick gets lost? Damaged? Stolen?

I understand it’s slowly being ousted by netbooks, due to the smaller size of netbooks down to the omittance of the optical drive. But why are third party manufacturers springing up all over the place still selling discs if its technically a dead market? Greenpod, Mr. Data and other obscure brands seemed to have emerged quite recently.

It will still be used for many years to come, due to the cost of the disc. Dead cheap, and why would companies still encourage optical discs if it’s dead? Why are DVDs, computer software and music still been produced on optical media if it’s on it’s way out? Why are BD-R discs still being produced if the optical disc is on the way out? Same with Blu-Ray the format, released in the digital, “I want it now” generation why would anyone lunk around a BR player only to watch maybe one film at a time, when they can lunk around their laptop/netbook whatever and store dozens, if compressed films at a single mouse click?

Because it is cheap. And it annoys me when people say it’s being ousted. Why don’t manufacturers pull the plug?

Argh, annoying! :a

I usually keep at least 3,000 blank DVDs on hand, mostly Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R for use with my Magnavox, Panasonic and Philips recorders, thirteen of which are set up for daily use. Another sixteen of my recorders are set aside as standbys. Currently I’m using around 160 of these TY 8x discs per month with these stand-alone recorders.

For use with my CopyPal duplicator I use 16x Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim ASO series DVD-R blank discs, currently burning around 60 per month.

Perhaps it’s time to stock up on Taiyo Yuden media. “Hello, SuperMediaStore? Will you ship me another 10,000 Taiyo Yuden 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs and another 3,000 TY 16x DVD-R discs?”

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-200?brand=TAIYO+YUDEN&filter=Speed%3D8X&max=15&offset=0

http://www.dvdshoponline.co.uk/P1687.html

3,000 BLANKS SPARE!? WHEN ARE YOU EVER GOING TO USE THREE THOUSAND!? D:

And, how the HECK can ANYONE use 160 a month!? Damn, dude! xD

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2540382]And, how the HECK can ANYONE use 160 a month!? Damn, dude! xD[/QUOTE]

I time-shift from Turner Classic Movies and a few other cable services.

Here in the US (and in Canada) Turner Classic Movies shows lots of early talkie movies through the movies of the film noir era. TCM also shows a smattering of 1960s and later movies that are of little interest to me and others enjoying “classic movies.”

In many countries TCM is just another “garden variety” movie channel.

As to CopyPal use I record the Glenn Beck TV shows from the Fox News Channel, edit out commercials, high-speed dub a week’s worth of shows to DVD to produce a “master DVD” and then make CopyPal duplicates for free distribution/circulation at Church and among a few other friends.