Optical drivers corrupted in Vista 32 bit

I just installed Windows Vista 32 bit in my home built system. I’ve been using AnyDVD/CloneDVD for a while in vista without a problem. I just upgraded my sound card to a Soundblaster X-fi and downloaded the latest XP drivers (Creative hasn’t posted Vista drivers yet). Upgrading the sound card driver seems to have corrupted my optical drive drivers. I’ve tried uninstalling the sound driver, reinstalling AnyDVD, and even moving the optical drives to separate IDE channels. Does anyone know how I can revert back to Windows’ default drivers without rebuilding?

Another note: In device manager I am getting “Code 39” messages on the drives. I’ve read about deleting the upperfilters and lowerfilters in XP, but does that apply to vista? One person on here tried that and hosed his OS. I’d rather not risk that by using the XP instructions.

If Creative installed some kind of media player with a disc burning option, it also installed a driver, often Roxio, which can muck things up sometimes.

That’s good thinking. I uninstalled Creative’s Mediasource and their CD writer plugin, then uninstalled the IDE controller and rebooted. That didn’t fix the problem. I’ve also uninstalled Anydvd and Clonedvd until I can get this resolved.

Uninstalling the offending driver/software is of course required, but the damage was done in the registry.

You haven’t said yet just what the problem is. If the drives are unavailable, showing exclamations in device manager, it sounds like the old upper/lower filter issue.

That should make you visit the m$ support sites immediately.

I’ve read microsoft’s support articles. I tried deleting the upper/lower filters and it caused my PC not to boot. I had to do a last known good configuration.

I found a .reg file that someone had created that fixed my problem! Here is the code from the file:







Thank you for the last post!
I have a Toshiba DVDW/HD TS-L802A ATA that stopped working after a video driver was updated. I checked the above referanced registery key
and only had the upper filter listed. All I had to do was delete the value of it and scan for hardware changed under manage and I am now up and running. Not sure what they other registy entries were for but I didn’t have to mess with them. Thanks for the info!