Disc Burning: Vendor Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk2
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal
OS9 Drivers: No

Player will hardly ever load when I insert music CD. (Just this past week.) Transport works fine and when player does load, it works perfectly. Two questions: does the revision number above refer to the firmware version? If not, then would updating the firmware solve the problem? Wiring is secure, no loose connections. Again, once player appears on the desktop, it works fine.

Thanks!

Bob

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Do you have this problem with every audio CD or only with burned discs?

Thanks for responding, geno888.

I have loaded other audio discs with the same result. The player will not load for either 1 minute or five hours. It’s random. I also loaded a cleaner disc, Memorex Optidisc, and when it loaded, I ran the program. I ejected it and tried other audio cds, including blanks (all CD-R), but no go. After i play a cd that finally loads in itunes and close itunes, I get a prompt that I have not closed the device properly. Then I lose the player. (Disc icon disappears from my desktop.) It’s now early Sunday morning, and I put the cleaner disc back in, and I got a prompt that informed me that I have inserted a blank disc and what do I want to do with it? --Burn new disc, etc.

An aside: when I looked at the console log in the “About This Mac” there were about a thousand listings of settings of my sound card, Audiophile 2496. Here is one of them: Sep 18 05:22:08 Macintosh kernel: DeltaAudioEngine::clipOutputSamplesNoALTIVEC mixBuf = 225a0000 sampleBuf = 22639000 firstSampleFrame = aa7 numSampleFrames = 200.
All of them showing a different number in the Sample Frame. All from September 18 (the last time I started the computer up.) Within about a minute. My computer seems to be running all the settings on the card. I do not know if this log is shown every time I turn the computer on, because i never had a problem with it, so I never checked it. Although I use the card for sound in 10.3.9 for listening to music, the card’s main use is for my Logic Audio Sequencer (Pre-Apple), that I use in os9.2, which os I must use for the sequencer. The icon for the sound card which is called Delta Audio Engine when opened lists all the settings for audio.

Well, my computer is seven years old, and it is slowing down. This is hard, because the only problems I’ve had with it were a bad secondary hard drive and an ethernet card I had to replace. I’m a little tired of seeing the spinning wheel while I am traveling on the net. I’m trying to decide between a MacPro laptop or an Imac. I believe it’s time. Now, where to get the bucks.

Another question from my first post. In the listing of my player, a revision of 1.02 is listed with no explanation. Is this the firmware version of the player?

But if you have any suggestions, I’m all ears. Thanks for your help.

-Bob

moved thread from Asus/Pioneer writer forum to LG (HL-DT-ST) writer forum.

Yes, 1.02 is the firmware revision of the CD/DVD burner.

Throughout all of this, have DVD discs worked with the drive? This would show if it is the drive having an issue with only CDs, or something possibly more complex than that.

Is it possible for you to do a fresh installation of OS X (maybe on another hard drive, so you keep your current installation intact)? This would show if it is an issue with just your current installation, or something with the hardware itself.

Thanks, Albert: If I had a lot of money, I would just upgrade everything. But if I’m going to learn anything, I’m going to have to do a fresh install of my OS. I am still looking for my external hard drive that I used when my second internal hard drive went kerplooey and I used the ext drive to save my music files while I installed the new internal drive. I had lost a lot of VSTs and some vocals in the crash, but unbeknownst to me my son had visited over Christmas several years back and never told me that he saved the vocals that I had stored in Logic Audio (actually that crashed internal drive) to a CD. When I told him I had lost that drive in the crash, he then told me that he had saved my vocals. He even remembered in what stack of CDs in my house to look in. So I was able to reload the vocals. He’s a good kid.

This will also give me a chance to clean house, so to speak. Thanks for the suggestion. After I locate my ext drive and re-install, I will post back.

-Bob