Optical Drive not visible in Explorer after Windows Media Player Uninstall

Sony VAIO GXR600 running win2k sp4
WMP7.1, Nero 6 Ultra Edition, DVgate, Intervideo WinDVD, motion jpeg software decoder

After updating wmp7.1 to wmp9 windows wouldn’t load but I could still boot into safe mode, resolved thru thread http://club.myce.com/f34/blue-screen-after-windows-media-player-install-309161/ by uninstalling wmp9 [windows rolled back to 7.1 automatically], wmp9 updates & genie software.

After booting back into windows my Toshiba DVDROM SD-R6012 no longer showed in explorer [or drive management] altho I could see it under hidden devices in device manager. A device labeled Sony CDRW CRX 610E and various matshita cdrom & cdrom scsi devices were also listed.[I guess those are controllers]

I tried various ways of updating drivers on the Toshiba from the Properties > Driver Tab> UpdateDriver Button and finally windows found cdrom.inf and I rebooted. The DVDROM is now visible and “unhidden” in device manager w/ an error 31 code - windows can’t load the drivers - but not visible in explorer.

Uninstalling wimp9 removed cdr4_2k.sys from system32/drivers. When I was troubleshooting the cdr4_2k.sys failure to load windows error I checked that it wasn’t one of the drivers for the optical drive. The current drivers are cdrom.sys; redprop.sys and stroprop.dll. I wrote down the drivers before uninstalling wmp9, but I don’t know where now.

I think what I am supposed to do now is uninstall the device and let windows refind it. I’m a bit nervous about uninstalling it and then it not showing up anywhere. I think the dvdrom is a plug and play rather than a non plug and play. It’s one of the selections when you click the Safely Remove Hardware Icons [it came back there when it reappeared in device manager]. So according to the instructions I just click the uninstall button on the driver tab and follow the instructions, which will probably be to reboot.

Googling error 31 I found mention of an Adaptec plug in w/ wmp7 that causes error31 w/ a failure to undock.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/jsifaq/jsi-tip-3246-device-manager-issues-error-code-31-on-your-cd-drives-.aspx

Windows may have “rolled back” to wmp 7.1 w/ a different configuration. Checking the registry entry mentioned in the above link the lower filters list the cdr4_2k which is no longer on my computer [unless it’s in a cab somewhere.] The upper filters show cdr4lw2k, which I also didn’t find in a search in the Windows folder & subfolders. So it looks like a leftover from uninstalling wmp & genie. I backed up that part of the registry and I think I should delete those filters, then uninstall the Toshiba drive, then reboot.

Any other suggestions? Should I also try uninstalling wmp7.1 before rebooting?

Hi,[QUOTE=AnnieMS;2497776]
After booting back into windows my Toshiba DVDROM SD-R6012 no longer showed in explorer [or drive management] altho I could see it under hidden devices in device manager. A device labeled Sony CDRW CRX 610E and various matshita cdrom & cdrom scsi devices were also listed.[I guess those are controllers][/quote]No. These are optical drives that were present in the system. Could also be some remainders of the factory preinstallation. Uninstall them.

I think what I am supposed to do now is uninstall the device and let windows refind it. I’m a bit nervous about uninstalling it and then it not showing up anywhere.
I wouldn’t worry about that, since there is then no disadvantage compared to the actual situation.
I think the dvdrom is a plug and play rather than a non plug and play. It’s one of the selections when you click the Safely Remove Hardware Icons [it came back there when it reappeared in device manager].
A device showing up in “safely remove hardware” (in the tray) only means, it is removable. Either USB or in a drive caddy like in some laptops.

So according to the instructions I just click the uninstall button on the driver tab and follow the instructions, which will probably be to reboot.

Yes. Or Right-Click in device manager and select “uninstall”. :wink:

Any other suggestions? Should I also try uninstalling wmp7.1 before rebooting?
Uninstalling WMP7.1 does not hurt since this version is rather useless. Get rid of it. Should be also possible after the reboot.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I now have a dvd drive again.

I uninstalled all the hidden optical drives & the Toshiba. I don’t know why it had all those old drives - this wasn’t supposed to be a refurbished laptop and I’ve only ever had the one optical drive. When I rebooted I still didn’t have the drive in explorer - I’d forgotten to delete the upper & lower filters w/ Cdr4_2K.SYS & Cdralw2k.SYS in the registry.

After I did that and rebooted the drive was accessible.