Optical Drive not seen

vbimport

After SATA drive #4 that was in my wife’s machine and hardly used apparently went down, I’m starting to wonder about operating systems here. Anyway in our server 2012 r2 we had a Benq and 1 other pata drive on the same cable, master slave in the pc along with doa drive #4 which was really creating problems. Only have one port for the ide cable, so decided to try and add a Promise card, 1 ide, 2 sata ports, no way, server too full. Removed the Benq and went with a Samsung that was in with the Benq, (doesn’t like newer media, but loves TY and reads great) and another pata Samsung on the same cable. Ran out of satas for now. Bios sees both drives, but server 2012 r2 does not. You are thinking that the second drive is toast, but no, swapped drives, bios again sees them, server 2012 r2 does not. No settings changed, just took one drive out and put another in. Have not tried to put the Benq back in yet, don’t want the Disappointment I guess. Looked online, tried some different scenarios, nothing worked so far.:rolleyes::smiley:

Tried another few things with the 2 Samsungs, changing the cable etc, etc, still only one drive seen. Already swapped the drives around, so it’s not the drives. Took one Samsung out, put the Benq back in and voila, 2 drives seen. Put the other Samsung in an external case, plugged it in and voila, 3 drives no waiting. Still have no clue why server 2012 r2 would not see that second drive, but the Benq was no problem.

I’ve never heard of this issue with an operating system unless it’s a driver issue or something brought about by a silent update.

[QUOTE=Albert;2779563]I’ve never heard of this issue with an operating system unless it’s a driver issue or something brought about by a silent update.[/QUOTE]

I think this qualifies as weird Albert, don’t you?

Indeed, very weird. I would understand if it was an old OS, but Server 2012 isn’t that antiquated, nor is it too new for your hardware.

Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, click Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

[QUOTE=budwieser61;2779583]Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, go to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next resolution.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.