Optical drive compatibilty

I HAVE A HP PAVILION A1400Y DESKTOP,Product# EW169AV#ABA RUNNING Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-version 2002 Service pack 2. MY CD/DVDW DRIVE IS MADE BY TSST CORP: TS-HDD20. IT IS DEAD AND NEEDS REPLACED. HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT OTHER OPTICAL DRIVE UNITS ARE COMPATIBLE SO I CAN REPLACE IT?

In my opinion any drive is compatible with your computer, the only incompatibility you might run into is the interface of the optical drive. Recent computers/motherboards have SATA ports as standard and others also have IDE/ATA for backwards compatibility. I suggest you take a look at what available ports you have so I (and other forum members) could suggest a few drives you could replace it with. You will have to open the case of your computer eventually if you plan on replacing the drive yourself so you might as well peek and see what your current drive’s interface is and check what connectors are available on your motherboard.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=PAPPOOSE;2281455]I HAVE A HP PAVILION A1400Y DESKTOP,Product# EW169AV#ABA RUNNING Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-version 2002 Service pack 2. MY CD/DVDW DRIVE IS MADE BY TSST CORP: TS-HDD20.[/quote]Such a drive does not exist. Perhaps a bad cable is the culprit.

IT IS DEAD AND NEEDS REPLACED.
This also applies to your keyboard. Using caps is impolite shouting.
HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT OTHER OPTICAL DRIVE UNITS ARE COMPATIBLE SO I CAN REPLACE IT?
Read the manual. It should state, what interfaces (Sata or IDE/Pata) are available. Service manuals are available on HP support website.

Michael

Thank you for your response. I have found out that I have an IDE interface to the dvd drive. I also apologize for yelling (did not know that all caps did that).:bow:

Ok :slight_smile:
Since the drive name looks really ridiculous, I would start with checking the IDE cable. In doubt, replace it.
If a new cable (get a 80conductor cable) does not help, then it’s time to get a new drive (unless your computer is still within warranty).

Michael

Sorry michael, I made a big mistake. The dead drive that I have is TSST Corp CD\DVDW TS-H552D. I have an old Sony CD-RW drive and installed it. It did work but I want to purchase a CD-DVDRW unit and have no idea how to pick one.

Hi,[QUOTE=PAPPOOSE;2281973]Sorry michael, I made a big mistake. The dead drive that I have is TSST Corp CD\DVDW TS-H552D.[/quote]Ah, ok.

I have an old Sony CD-RW drive and installed it. It did work but I want to purchase a CD-DVDRW unit and have no idea how to pick one.
Howto shouldn’t be a problem at all. Buy a drive locally, or from your favourite online shop.
A good general use drive is Optiarc AD720xA series (x=0, 1 or 3) or Pioneer 116 or 117 series. And while you are at it, also buy a 80conductor cable, since it is needed for these modern drives.

Michael

Thank Eveyone for your help. I will let u know how it goes.

I end up getting a LG GH22 22X Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter. The main info I needed was the drive connection: SATA of IDE. I wanted an internal unit for appearence. Even though the unit was the same size, I still had some modifications to do. I guess externals units are alot easier??
This drive was $72.00 and came with some cool software…who doesn’t love free software. Nero Essentials (can do anything but video files that need decoding), InCD, and Power Producer (view movies only).
It burns a data DVD (4.5GB) in seven minutes!! i’ve burned about 20 of the data DVDs since I installed it, with no problems.
It is so quiet, I had to check on it at first to make sure it was running. I thought I was going to have to hire a tech to fix my problem but am so proud that I was able to do it myself…along with your advice. (OK, Im blonde).
THANKS EVERYONE

Hi,[QUOTE=PAPPOOSE;2283407]I end up getting a LG GH22 22X Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter. The main info I needed was the drive connection: SATA of IDE. I wanted an internal unit for appearence. Even though the unit was the same size, I still had some modifications to do.[/quote]Possibly a custom “design” front of your computer.

I guess externals units are alot easier??
Of course! Just plug into an USB port, connect the PSU, and you’re ready.

This drive was $72.00
72.00 USD? :eek: I would consider this extremely pricey. I can get this drive (retail version) for less than 30 EUR (~ 42 USD). Should be cheaper in the U.S.

It burns a data DVD (4.5GB) in seven minutes!!
That’s quite normal for modern drives. For burning quality, you should not burn at maximum speed. Most experienced users stick with 8x to 12x (unless they are just testing).

I thought I was going to have to hire a tech to fix my problem but am so proud that I was able to do it myself…along with your advice. (OK, Im blonde).
Glad, you got it sorted :slight_smile: :clap:

Michael

Most DVD burners can be found between $20 to $30 in the US from places such as NewEgg. The LG 22N 22X burner is $26 at http://www.outletpc.com/cd---dvd-drives-dvd--rw-burners.html?gclid=CIurs6f44ZoCFRufnAodpnh3CA, and it’s $24 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?bop=And&Submit=Property&N=2%2050001623%2040000005&PropertyCodeValue=371%3A39065%2C373%3A39066but NewEgg currently out of stock for the IDE model.