Optical disc makers cut output to stabilize prices

vbimport

Erica Yen, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Friday 13 May 2011]

As first-tier Taiwan-based makers of blank optical discs, including CMC Magnetics, Ritek and Gigastorage, have reduced output by 20-30% since the beginning of 2011 and most second-tier makers have stopped production, quote rose 10-20% in the first quarter and may increase further in the second, third or fourth quarter, according to industry sources.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110513PD200.html

Let’s hope CMC goes down! :bigsmile:

I hope JVC and Verbatim were easier to find!

[QUOTE=RCM;2588917]Let’s hope CMC goes down! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE] Let’s not. :disagree:

/me pats his CMC-manufactured Verbies… [I]my preciousss[/I]!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2588942]Let’s not. :disagree:

/me pats his CMC-manufactured Verbies… [I]my preciousss[/I]![/QUOTE]

All my CMC manufactured Verbies either scan terrible or are unreadable!

Highlight above :bigsmile: I used to like CMC until I bought CMC made Verbatim, they don’t scan that great at all!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2588942]Let’s not. :disagree:

/me pats his CMC-manufactured Verbies… [I]my preciousss[/I]![/QUOTE]

x2 :wink:

I wouldn’t be bothered if a couple of other Taiwan-based manufacturers did, though…:wink:

I thought wanting CMC to go down is a good thing? :confused:

At least that way they are not pushing out better discs like TY and Verbatim. Who knows, if we filtered through the trash discs, TY might become in shops more.

(Memorex, by the way, might recover their reputation if they outsourced to TY - Surely it can’t be much more expensive than CMC or MBI :bigsmile: )

Competition is a good thing for us consumers, though. If all the less-desirable manufacturers went, then our beloved MCC and TY would probably be a lot more expensive than they are now. :wink: