Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H [Slow Burning]

vbimport

hi everyone… this is my first post at the forums… and i have some trouble.

i have an “Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H ATA Device” in my “Acer TravelMate 4740 Laptop” and i used to burn dvd’s and cd’s quite flawlessly with it at good speeds (8x for DVD’s). i hav not burned anything since an year and then one day i found that its burning at real slow speed…
first i burned a DVD at 8x on a “Moserbaer DVD-R” 4 files of atleast a GB each… the burning took almost 18 minutes at 8x :frowning: i used Nero 7 for the burning…

as the burning ended successfully i checked the dvd and it was so slow to open, that explorer hanged and even though after trying 2-3 times after ejecting and rechecking i was unable to open it… (so i threw the DVD :P… Frisbee…)

again i burned another similar DVD-R with simiar files at 4x… it took same amount of time but this time the DVD was usable althoug copying speed as tested was 5MB/s to 8MB/s.

i was completely screwed… so i tested another similar Blank DVD-R with “NERO CD-DVD speed”… in the disc info it shows write speeds as: 2x 4x 6x and 8x (no 16x) but still the burning speed was so slow (near 2-3x i think)

now here comes the tricky part… the same blank dvd showed write speeds of 4x 6x and 8x under disc info when checked on another Burner on a Desktop PC…

Things i’ve already tried…
Checking the PIO or DMA modes… i know the drive is already in Ultra DMA 5 when checked in “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers” —> “ATA channel 4” (all channels are in Ultra DMA 5)
First these devices are not lised there (since “Intel Rapid Storage Technology” drivers were instaled so i had to remove them to get the ATA channels visible on the list)
so what’s the problem am so clueless… :frowning:

My Config:
Laptop:Acer Travelmate 4740
Intel Core i3-370M
2GB DDR3
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H ATA Device
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
Nero 7 Essentials

Welcome to the forums farhanimator.

Your drive’s specifications show that it is a SATA interface drive, so concerns about DMA settings don’t really apply. Also, PATA optical drives show up as Ultra DMA 2 or Ultra DMA 4. Ultra DMA 5 is seen on hard drives. So, I’m not really sure what you are looking at in your settings.

You probably shouldn’t have removed the drivers. If it is possible to go into Device Manager and restore them, you should do so. Or go back to a restore point prior to removal.

Just because you selected 8x speed to burn your dvds, it doesn’t mean that the drive will actually burn at that speed. If the firmware of the drive doesn’t allow that speed, it will drop down to the fastest speed available. Having said that, the drive is showing 8x in your CD/DVD Speed window, so the burner may simply be having problems with this particular media.

I would suggest a test burn using different software. We recommend ImgBurn for most burning tasks. It is free to download and use. www.imgburn.com

8x is top speed for that burner. We also generally recommend dropping the speed down a notch, particularly when using mediocre grade media. So try a burn at 6x in ImgBurn. It might not help, the drive may have to slow down again with these discs, but worth a try.

Better discs are available from Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. Just don’t buy “Life Series” Verbatim, get the ones that are designated AZO on the label.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2643449]
Ultra DMA 5 is seen on hard drives. So, I’m not really sure what you are looking at in your settings.
[/QUOTE]

no… it was the DVD drive am sure. just as i said ATA Channels (containing both HDD and DVD drives) are listed only after uninstallation of the “Intel Rapid storage technology” drivers.
Here are the Device Manager Screenshots:

With Intel Rapid Storage (AHCI Drivers) installed:

Without Intel Rapid Storage Drivers:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2643449]
8x is top speed for that burner. We also generally recommend dropping the speed down a notch, particularly when using mediocre grade media. So try a burn at 6x in ImgBurn. It might not help, the drive may have to slow down again with these discs, but worth a try.
[/QUOTE]

yup, 8x is the highest speed, but when i set to 4x it start burning at 2x…

should i upgrade my firmware… if so frm where coz’ i searched a lot and only found one named “Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H ATA Device KD03” firmware and mine is “KX04” the former is avaiable on some Dell Laptop but mine is Acer should i update…??

Your drive is a SATA interface, so the DMA issues are not applicable I don’t believe.
I do long for the simpler days when the controllers were more straightforward however.

Optical drives will start off slowly and gradually build speed towards the outer edge of the disc, though the way they do this varies according to the writing strategy employed. (CAV, CLV, Z-CLV) But it sounds like you are having to select 8x to obtain actual 4x top speed in Nero if I understand your last post.

Never update firmware of an optical drive using the firmware from another OEM manufacturer. Don’t use Dell firmware in an Acer in other words. The manufacturers often times use proprietary firmware, and it is quite possible to brick the drive.

The Acer support site does not show an updated firmware for the optical drive in a TravelMate 4740.

Try different media, of better quality than these Moser Baer dics and try a different writing program.

farhanimator:

If you’d use CD-DVD Speed’s “Create Data Disc” test, save the resulting burn graph, then try to run a Transfer Rate Test, save those results, and post them, we might get a visual representation of what’s going on to go along with Kerry’s advice. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2643527]
Never update firmware of an optical drive using the firmware from another OEM manufacturer. Don’t use Dell firmware in an Acer in other words. The manufacturers often times use proprietary firmware, and it is quite possible to brick the drive.

The Acer support site does not show an updated firmware for the optical drive in a TravelMate 4740.

Try different media, of better quality than these Moser Baer dics and try a different writing program.[/QUOTE]

hmm… thanks for the quick reply, yes maybe i should check some other media rather than thinking of updating firmware…

[QUOTE=Albert;2643532]farhanimator:
If you’d use CD-DVD Speed’s “Create Data Disc” test, save the resulting burn graph, then try to run a Transfer Rate Test, save those results, and post them, we might get a visual representation of what’s going on to go along with Kerry’s advice. :)[/QUOTE]

ok i’ll look after that

I keep telling people that Laptops are not Workstations, their Burners are slim and very fragile. If you want to do any serious Video work, you need a very good Workstation. You need to replace that Burner on that Laptop to get a few more hours out of it. :cool:

Check in devicemanager the option “show hidden devices” and look for that starforce crap drivers.
If you find some - rmove them!