Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S Reconized as CD-ROM

vbimport

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

I have a problem that I can’t fix. I have a 3 month old Gateway FX7026, and one day while trying to play Crysis it would not read the DVD. I thought the DVD RW Drive died on me, but I went into Computer and looked into the properties of the drive and it says that its value is a CD-ROM Drive. I am not an expert in any way, but I think that means my computer sees the drive as a CD-ROM. It will only play CDs and not DVDs, when I insert a DVD it says there is no disc in the drive. I have been looking for ways to fix it and I think I need to download some drivers, but it’s an OEM model and the Optiarc website says it wont work with those models. I also read something about DMA, but I can’t find any information on how to change it if you are using ITE.

Please help me, I have been messing with this for a month and I can’t find a way to fix it.

Thanks everyone. :slight_smile:

Do you have windows XP? If yes, then it’s a classic m$ bug in XP.
Other dvd’s can be read?

No, I’m on Windows Vista Premium 64bit. No other dvd’s can be read, it just reads the cd’s I also can’t find any lDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the Device Manager.

Please let me know how this goes. I have the exact same problem. Same system (Gateway Vista 64). Its been bugging the heck out of me.

:sad: WOW I Also have the exact same problem. Same system (Gateway Vista 64).

[QUOTE=SealCry;2128971]No, I’m on Windows Vista Premium 64bit. [B]No other dvd’s can be read[/B], it just reads the cd’s I also can’t find any lDE ATA/ATAPI controllers in the Device Manager.[/QUOTE]

Which can be read then?

Hey guys, I contacted Gateway and they ran a remote test and found that the DVD lense for the reader was faulty. Thats why the CD read but the DVDs didn’t. Mine was still under warrenty and they shipped me a new one in 3 days :D. Everything is working perfectly and i’m able to continue business and usual. Good luck!

Same problem with this Optiarc DVD RW AD-7203S drive. It reads CD’s and recoginizes there is something there with the dvd but none of my programs can read the dvd’s. I am on Windows XP E-machine new EL-1200 (I think made by Gateway).
It is brand new.

Anyone come up wit an answer. I deleted the upper and lower filters in the resistry as was directed and that fixed the issue of the computer not seeing the drive at all or seeing it as CD-ROM only, but now it only plays & recognizes CD’s. It also shows up as a DVD-RAM and knows something is there but cannot read the DVD’s.
Anyone with an answer yet???

First answer my question…

I have the same problem, looks like a product error :frowning:
Too bad I bought my pc 2 years ago and I bought the drive somewhere else without any papers.
I guess cleaning the lense wont work?

It’s not a product error…

Ok lets just say the product sucks then, because it happens quite a lot with this exact same product, or is this a common problem with al DVD/CD drives?

More likely a problem depending on the used controllers… More and more (of those combo) controllers are set to RAID mode by default which is not really suitable for SATA optical drives.

So how can I check what kind of controllers I have?
Is there a thread somewhere about this?
I have allmost no hardware knowledge at all so Im not sure what Im looking for.

Hm, mainly depends on your motherboard if you don’t have a add-on controller installed.
Which motherboard model/revision do you have?

And thread mainly regarding IDE is here: http://club.myce.com/f7/ide-controllers-definitive-thread-90930/