Optiarc AD7191S Firmware problem

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7190S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi,

I had a small problem with my dvd burner, which it can’t burn dvd’s with any program (i tried, nero, infrarecord and another one i cant remember) but with the default vista burning software (directly drag it to the dvd unit and then pressing burn files to cd/dvd) it could, the problem was, that every time i put a blank dvd and start recording an iso, or a bunch of files… it started session on the disc and then it was ejected and the disc was useless ( some sort of sector issue, not important right now).

I thought the problem was the media, so i tried several brands, princo, matrix, verbatim, sony, all with the same problem.

After a little bit of research at google i found the firmware upgrade at http://www.sony-optiarc.us which i unzipped, executed, so far so good, it told me the firmware upgrade was ok, reboot, etc… then the first issue (kinda alarming ) appeared, the led of the dvd didn’t blinked (kept on all the time), i pushed the eject button and the tray didn’t came out…

I shutdowned the computer, then started again, and the dvd was detected by windows as new device and at my computer it shows as CD not as DVDRW which it was before…

I installed again the firmware now downloaded from the european official site, same problem above… dvd not working, then i removed al possible software which could cause some kind of interference… daemon tools, anydvd, nero… new try of firmware update, no success.

Then i read at this forum the possibility to flash crossover with a DH-20a3L which i read some had nice results (downloaded from one of the post from this site) and still the same trouble… doesn’t work the dvd, every time i install the firmware upgrade it says it was successfully installed but no changes, even when i restart the system the bios detects the dvd as an optiarc 7191s etc…

My pc specs:
DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E4600, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
OS Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
DirectX 10.1

Motherboard PCChips P53G (2 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 2 DDR2
Chipset motherboard VIA P4M900
RAM DIMM1: Kingston 2G-UDIMM 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM

The DVD Optiarc DVD RW AD-7191S (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:8x, DVD+RW:20x/8x, DVD-RW:20x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)

Any enlightenment would be very appreciated…

Horacio

Perhaps nothing is wrong. Have you tried other DVD burning apps? I suggest to try out ImgBurn which is free and can burn DVDs:

http://www.imgburn.com/

If it can burn then most likely is just Vista.