I read the other threads about Nec’s reading problem and I tried practically anything, except messing with the psu and molex connectors (like someone suggested in the Samsung’s thread).
I even tried flashing my drive’s firmware to Liggy & Dee’s Modified 1.04 RPC1.
Not only it didn’t solve the reading problem, it also created a new one:
Now, when I insert a DVD +R (TDK 003), that was burned on the driver and worked fine, the explorer gets stuck and I’m forced to eject it from the drive.
I decided to switch back to the old firmware - 1.02, and the problem stopped.
My OS is WXP SP2. I have an ASUS DVD ROM drive connected together with the Optiarc one on the same cable- the ASUS is jumpered as slave.
I apologize for my lame English, I’m not a native speaker.