Optiarc AD 7580S - Won't Burn DL's

vbimport

Hey’

I’m having a problem with my laptop dvd burner, the problem is that I cannot any longer burn dual layer dvd’s.
At the beginning when I acquired the laptop it all worked fine but after about 10-12 burns of DL’s it broke. Cyberlink Power2Go is giving me a error message with this code 0xeb020b88 and it says that burning failed. But the weird thing is that I can still burn regular (single layer) dvd’s with no problem. Could it be registry problem, but another thing is that I recently did a factory restore recovery on my laptop so everything on it is like it was from day one and that would clear any registry problems I think.
But I still get the same message and I still got the same problem.
Please HELP!!!

HP Pavilion dv7-1232nr
Vista 64 Home Premium
Optiarc AD 7580S

Optiarc AD 7580S is a piece of crap…
What DL media are you using ?

I’m using Memorex DVD+R DL.

That are not the best DL available…
Have a try with verbatim medias, and maybe with imageburn (for exemple) ?

Yeah ok but how come it first records on that media and later doesn’t? For me it sounds like there is something wrong with the drive itself. I don’t know which generation of optiarc drives is that particular one but shouldn’t they perfected double layer burning on all media by now??

I don’t know, maybe there is something wrong with the drive…
It’s a rebadged QSI, not a “real” Optiarc, real Optiarc like AD-7590S or AD-7700S are “correct” DL burner, rebadged QSI are crappy, that’s all !
Verbatim (MKM) are the only reliable DL media, if you don’t want to pay for Verbatim, why not Ricoh or Tdk…but all the rest (including Memorex) is “unreliable”…so, to be “sure” that the drive is faulty, try with a Verbatim DL :wink:

You can also look for a firmware upgrade, but don’t hope too much about it.

Like you said I will try it with Verbatim or TDK to be sure. Cause for example the single layer I got right now are TDK and they work fine. But I forgot to mentioned before that is still got warranty, but the really crappy thing would be if the situation would repeat itself in the future even if they replace the drive for a new one but the same kind. Maybe not will see. Anyway Thanks for all the help.

Don’t know with what they would replace the drive, but with an other QSI, situation would probably repeat !
Personnaly, I’d just buy an Optiarc AD-7590S or AD-7700S, or an external drive, don’t bother with th mess of warranty, dealer are often not very “comprehensive” with optical drives…

Like I said I’m gonna check with reliable media and then know for sure whats really wrong. And if the drive will not work with them I’m gonna pursue my warranty cause I actually paid for it. So even if they replace the drive and the same thing happens I’m gonna keep at it until they get it right hopefully. But let’s say I wanna replace the drive myself what kind do you recommend (Optiarc AD-7590S or AD-7700S)?? or would I be better off with a external drive and what kind as well???

If you want to keep your computer “portable”, then replace the drive with either 7590S or 7700S (maybe 7590S better, but 7700 newer…other slim drive are AFAIK a waste of money).

If you want reliable, fast and easy burning and reading, you’d better go for an external usb or usb/esata enclosure like Vantec NST530U, and a cheap and good sata drive like Optiarc AD-7240S (or 7241 with sata, 7243 labelflash).
With this enclosure (530U) and 7240S, I’m able to reach 22x while burning (power supply is a little weak for 24x) with esata, and 16x with usb. For me, it’s the way to go if you want reliable and efficient burning.

External slim drive are perhaps handy, but they violate usb specification most of the time (until usb3 will be widespread), and they won’t burn better than internal slim Optiarc (in ide, you also have Pioneer slim drive that are quite good), except if you buy the Sony one, that is a 7590 internally.

[QUOTE=RBS;2502233]Like you said I will try it with Verbatim or TDK to be sure. Cause for example the single layer I got right now are TDK and they work fine. But I forgot to mentioned before that is still got warranty, but the really crappy thing would be if the situation would repeat itself in the future even if they replace the drive for a new one but the same kind. Maybe not will see. Anyway Thanks for all the help.[/QUOTE]

TDK DL? Hell no!
Either use [B]Verbatim DL[/B] or try with Philips (RitekS04 MID) DLs, everything else will not work.

OK I think that covers all about the subject once again thanks alot.

So single layer TDK’s are good but DL’s are not?
And Verbatim makes the best DL’s on the market?

chef???

Yep, Verbatim = best DL
I disagree about TDK DL that have RICOH JPN mid code, but…

Ah, okay, you meant TDK with that MID…

Verbatim DVD+R DL media is still the best DL media available.
TY DVD-R DL seems to be also top notch but its DVD-R DL and not that spread…

Hm, seems to be kinda mixed, still.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=TDK&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=3&size=8.5&dvdburnspeed=All&order=Name&hits=50&search=Search+or+List+Media

So ok then I’m gonna stick with…
TDK - Single Layer
Verbatim - DL