Optiarc AD-7560A won't read DVDs

I have an Optiarc AD-7560A burner. Recently, it’s started giving me quite a few problems. It refuses to write at speeds greater than 2X. It used to write at 4X in the past, but now anything faster than 2X and the burn process fails at lead-out, leaving behind an unreadable disc.

If I DO manage to get a disc burned, that same disc is unreadable. It started off being unreadable on this drive alone, but now it won’t read anywhere.

I got this drive as a replacement for the Matshita UJ-850D which came with the laptop (that was a piece of crap) and it worked perfectly well for the last three months. I don’t know what’s wrong with it. Can anybody help me out? I’d be very grateful.

I use a Packard Bell Easynote MZ36 laptop, with a Core Duo 1.8 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, running Vista Home Basic. I use Nero Burning Rom (v 9) and ConvertXtoDVD to burn discs. The abovementioned problems occur with both programs.

One more thing - the original Matshita drive gave similar problems (worse, actually) and that’s why I dumped it. Could it be the fault of some other component? I ask because this is the second drive to give me issues.

Thanks in advance!

Hi and Welcome!

please check if DMA is enabled and report back the current transfer rate.

Michael

Yes, DMA is enabled (Ultra DMA Mode 2). I can’t report the transfer rate cos it won’t read any of my discs :a I can get it replaced, still under warranty… I guess the dealer will replace it…

i’d like to know if this model of drive has defects… Should I try to convince him to give me something from a different firm? My roommate’s HP laptop has one from TSSTCorp that seems to be quite good.

Hi,[QUOTE=laser_dazzler;2249741]Yes, DMA is enabled (Ultra DMA Mode 2). I can’t report the transfer rate[/quote]That was my fault, sorry. I wanted to know the transfer mode, not the transfer rate :o :doh:

I can get it replaced, still under warranty… I guess the dealer will replace it…
Then go ahread and let it fixed under warranty.

i’d like to know if this model of drive has defects… Should I try to convince him to give me something from a different firm? My roommate’s HP laptop has one from TSSTCorp that seems to be quite good.
No idea. But avoid Panasonic/Matshita drives. :wink:
I personally consider slim drives as “emergency solutions” good enough for one disc a month or something like that. They are mechanically fragile, and due to the lack of proper firmware support, media support is not the best.

Michael

Hmm… I’ll remember that. But I haven’t any choice, my laptop will only take slim drives and I’m not in a position to buy myself a desktop. My previous laptop, an Acer, had a Panasonic drive on which I burned like ten discs a week (CD not DVD) and it still works, after five years of use.

hello,
by the way did your optiarc dvd writer read the dvd or not?
i too have the same problem. optiarc dvdrw ad7560A is the model and laptop is acer 4710. it is very sad that i tried this dvd burning only after 2 years i bought this laptop and i am really unhappy that the dealer cheated me.

can anyone help on this ?
thanks in advance

Hi and Welcome!

could you please describe the problem more detailled?
Can you read factory made DVDs (accessing with Explorer etc)?
In case there is only a problem with DVD writing: What software are you using for that purpose?
Any error messages from software or problem indicators in Device Manager?

Michael