Optiarc AD-7260S/7261S/7263S Results & Discussion

vbimport

Correction - above three burns (MBIPG101 R10) were with media Made in India, [U]not[/U] Made in China.

Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x [MKM 001] (Singapore)
Burned with ImgBurn
@4x in Optiarc AD-7260S (1.03)

Verbatim -R [Mcc 03Rg20] 16x Made in UAE ,Cake Box 25

Optiarc AD 7243 @AD7263 LD1.03 BT Rec X12

](http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/155/verbatimrmcc03rg2016xre.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Does anyone else have any issues with back to back burns on the AD-726x?

After a few burn / verifies in a row my AD-7260S seems like the power supply overheats (speculating here…) and momentarily loses power mid burn making a frisbee. The drive doesn’t seem to work correctly until the PC is power cycled. I’ve checked all the cabling and tried a different SATA port. I guess the drive is bad…

I had my original 7240 overheat and then produce bad burns till I got a different firmware that seemed to also recalibrate it again so that now it seems to do OK again. It was over 90 in here the day it happened and I was doing multiple back to back burns which was a bad idea in hindsight as they tend to heat up when burning at over 20x anyways.
I haven’t heard of anyone else having issues but sounds like I’m not the only one now.
I know it’s not common because you don’t see lots of users saying their drives got hot and now they don’t work right.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2610697]Does anyone else have any issues with back to back burns on the AD-726x?

After a few burn / verifies in a row my AD-7260S seems like the power supply overheats (speculating here…) and momentarily loses power mid burn making a frisbee. The drive doesn’t seem to work correctly until the PC is power cycled. I’ve checked all the cabling and tried a different SATA port. I guess the drive is bad…[/QUOTE]So I bought a AD-7261S because I figured my AD-7260 was bad. It does the exact same thing. If you do a few back to back burns / verifies without letting it cool down / rest you get a complementary frisbee.

Here’s a screenshot of the error (7260):

7260 log file

Here’s a screenshot of the error (7261):

7261 log file

I’ve never had this issue with any other burner I’ve used. :confused:

I have to say, it’s odd that the drive has issues with writing back-to-back even at such a low speed.

Is there a way to give the drives extra air, maybe put a fan directly on them?

[QUOTE=Albert;2611255]I have to say, it’s odd that the drive has issues with writing back-to-back even at such a low speed.[/quote]I was able to rip DVDs back to back to back for hours with no problems in the 7260S (haven’t tried the 7261S). But writing… No way. Sometimes you get the error on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th disc in a row.

Now I do a scan of the burn in another drive to let the 726xS rest for at least 20 minutes before burning again and the problem hasn’t happened again with that sort of usage pattern.

Is there a way to give the drives extra air, maybe put a fan directly on them?
Maybe. I have to take a closer look at the spacing in the case.

Edit: FWIW, I actually bought two AD-7261S drives, so I have a 3rd one I can test that hasn’t been used yet. Though admittedly, I’m not sure how many more $1 DVD+R DL frisbees I want to intentionally make.

My drive was doing at least 20 speed burns when it had issues and I did at least 10 burns back to back, plus the room was over 90f so I figured between the drive heating up on every burn and the very high heat in and outside my case that was probably it.
Are you sure your case is cool enough inside so the drives just don’t overheat right away.
I have a Cooler Master Stacker and it usually stays cool enough but that was a bad day to be doing anything like that. You also might want to look at the voltage your drive is getting and like that in case a low or high volts problem is causing issues.
I also had a Yamaha CDRW burner as my first CD burner and it would quickly overheat any time I left my case open as it counted on the air flow from the case fans to pull air through the drive to cool it as it had no fan, but had a cooling hole that let the air move through the drive with the positive pressure created by a closed case with a cooling fan running.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2611313]My drive was doing at least 20 speed burns when it had issues and I did at least 10 burns back to back, plus the room was over 90f so I figured between the drive heating up on every burn and the very high heat in and outside my case that was probably it.
Are you sure your case is cool enough inside so the drives just don’t overheat right away.[/QUOTE]It’s a big Lian-Li all aluminum case. It’s got good pretty good airflow though it. The other burners in the case haven’t had any issues with back to back burning. The room it’s in is all of 68F. :confused:

Well sounds like you might have some other issue causing it then, might want to try one of them in another working box just to eliminate anything your main rig may or may not be doing to cause the problem. Like I said is the voltage your power supply put out stable voltage and about where it should be? Just kinda grasping at straws here. If the burners act OK in another box though then something in yours is messing with them.:confused:

I guess I’ll have to try one of them another PC and see what happens.

I also checked the Windows log files and didn’t find anything useful.

Burner: AD-7260S
Firmware: 1.03
Media: Verbatim 16x DVD+R white inkjet hub printable (MIT)
MID: MCC004
Stamper Code: ZE0486-DVR-T47D
Hub Serial: PAPA16OA07001354 5
Burn Speed: 16x
Burning Software: Opti Drive Control 1.51

Media: Verbatim 16x DVD-R white inkjet hub printable (MIT)
MID: MCC 03RG20
Stamper Code: ZE0486-DVR-T47D
Hub Serial: MAPA08NK27043138 2
Burning Software: Opti Drive Control 1.51

Guys, I’m about to purchase AD-7263S. My question is, what firmware version do you suggest for best CD audio ripping?

Media: FalconMedia Pro 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printable (MIUAE)
MID: TTH01
Stamper Code: DVD-R 5823C2 F0208
Hub Serial: B2CH A01A M103150580 A14
Burning Software: Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.16

Teon 4x DVD+R
Branded
CMC MAG F01 (Made in Taiwan)
AD-7260S 1.03
Burned at 4x

[QUOTE=jadburner;2660550]Teon 4x DVD+R
Branded