Optiarc AD-7241S-0B vs Lite-On iHAS424-98?

vbimport

Hello all, I’m in need of a new burner as my old one currently died, I’ve decided I want an NEC Optiarc, which from my understanding both of these drives listed are exactly that.

Is there any reason I should choose one over the other? Are they truly identical or are there minute differences between the two manufacturers? At the moment I’m leaning towards the Optiarc since it’s the original and the Lite-On is just a rebadge, but I’m looking for additional insight. Thank you.

The difference is in the firmware. Get the actual Sony/NEC/Optiarc, because you’ll have better access to firmware updates. Rebadged drives often fall behind in terms of firmware unless they can be cross-flashed, and right now, the Lite-Ons with NEC chipsets aren’t cross-flashable (and may never be).

Actually these drives are crossflashable, you just have to modify 4 Bytes (location 0xc to 0xf) in the firmware.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2501462]Actually these drives are crossflashable, you just have to modify 4 Bytes (location 0xc to 0xf) in the firmware.[/QUOTE]

Hello Liggy. What exactly would those changes be? And is the change to Optiacr firmware to xflash to Liteon, or visa-versa? Also would this mod be to the exe file or the extracted bin file? Sorry, so many quesions. I have a Liteon ihas424-98 and interested in xflashing to Optiarc 7241s. I assume drive could be flashed back to Liteone firmware (???). Thanks again.

[QUOTE=LaciBacsi;2504759]Hello Liggy. What exactly would those changes be? And is the change to Optiacr firmware to xflash to Liteon, or visa-versa? Also would this mod be to the exe file or the extracted bin file? Sorry, so many quesions. I have a Liteon ihas424-98 and interested in xflashing to Optiarc 7241s. I assume drive could be flashed back to Liteone firmware (???). Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
The change consist of modifying Bytes 0xc to 0xf in the firmware. Of course this can also be done in the executable if you manage to locate the start of the firmware binary inside the file.

You can flash between the drives in both directions. It’s just that these 4 Bytes must contain the same Bytes. So if your current firmware has “AA BB CC DD” here, you must set these Bytes in the firmware you want to flash too.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2505263]The change consist of modifying Bytes 0xc to 0xf in the firmware. Of course this can also be done in the executable if you manage to locate the start of the firmware binary inside the file.

You can flash between the drives in both directions. It’s just that these 4 Bytes must contain the same Bytes. So if your current firmware has “AA BB CC DD” here, you must set these Bytes in the firmware you want to flash too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info!