Optiarc AD-7240S in a Vantec NST-530SU enclosure with Mac OSX 10.5?

vbimport

Hi!

First, let me say that these forums have been really helpful to me during my product research. You guys are great!

The optical drive in my Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo has never worked completely, and now it’s hosed. (Common problem.) It’s an HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N.

After ridiculous amounts of research, I’ve settled upon the Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7240S drive in a Vantec NST-530SU enclosure. I’d be connecting this to my Mac using a USB 2.0 cable.

I’m running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard), although I may be upgrading to Snow Leopard soon. I’ll be using the drive primarily to burn data to SL DVD+Rs. (Taiyo Yuden 000 T02 from Media Mega Mall, although I have some Verbatims and Maxells as alternative media, just in case.)

I’ll probably be burning at 4x, just because I’m paranoid. :wink: I also intend to only turn the drive on when I’m going to use it, which won’t be that often.

Does anyone foresee problems with this setup? If so, what are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I don’t foresee any problems. I know of no issues with the case or drive, and it should work (well) like typical external DVDRWs with OS X Leopard & the MBP.

The only thing that bothers me is burning so slowly with such a good drive & media. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=AspiringCarbon;2473832]I’ll probably be burning at 4x, just because I’m paranoid. :wink: I also intend to only turn the drive on when I’m going to use it, which won’t be that often.

Does anyone foresee problems with this setup? If so, what are your suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you’ll have any problems, but one thing I can say is that you shouldn’t burn SL media any slower than half it’s rated speed. So, for 16x media, you can burn it at 8x, and for 8x media, you can burn it at 4x. Burning everything at 4x is a bad idea. Modern burners are not as optimized to write at speeds that are too slow for the media being used. Stick with the half rated speed rule, and you’ll be fine (you can also burn 16x media at 6x, but that should only be done if you’re having problems at 8x).

And for the record, I’m using an Optiarc AD-7240S in a Vantec NST-530S2 under Mac OS 10.5.8, but my computer is an older PowerPC machine (not quite ready to upgrade to MacIntel). Everything works fine for me.

Thanks, guys. You rock!

Negritude: Thanks for the burn speed tips. It’s a relief to know that an optical drive guru has such a similar setup.

BTW, no need to upgrade if your old Mac still does what you need. Even old Macs can kick butt. I switched after I hand built a $3000 PC (in 2001!), and my boyfriend still got things done faster and had fewer problems with his ancient iMac. :doh:

I just wish Apple would stop putting crappy optical drives into their laptops. Sigh…