Optiarc AD-7240S/7241S 1.02 Firmware Out NOW:)!

Liggy, get making an RPC-1 version of it!!! :slight_smile:

http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/downloads/dvddrivesdesktoppcs/ad7241s.html

If I was Liggy I wouldn’t appreciate being ordered around.

you shouldn’t take things so literally, hence the smiley face.

You shouldn’t sarcastically call someone out to modify firmwares on his own time without getting paid while he’s on vacation either.

Shh, stop saying their name. IIRC, they’re on vacation and (maybe) firmware hacking. Even if they’re not, they deserve the rest and time off.

here is the .bin dump of AD-7241S v1.02 firmware done with latest binflash: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ax150u

I started working on the firmwares yesterday evening, but due to a slight headache I didn’t do too much. Still a lot of work to do but it should finish until the end of next week (end of my vacation).

[QUOTE=Liggy;2426066]I started working on the firmwares yesterday evening, but due to a slight headache I didn’t do too much. Still a lot of work to do but it should finish until the end of next week (end of my vacation).[/QUOTE]Thank you for taking the time to work on it Liggy :cool:

[QUOTE=Bob;2426109]Thank you for taking the time to work on it Liggy :cool:[/QUOTE]
No problem. I still haven’t updated my own drives either because there were no bitsetting patches. It’s not too complicated for me - but it all needs some time. I have some tools but I cannot fully automate everything due to minor differences between different firmwares, but these tools save a lot of time.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2426180]I have some tools but I cannot fully automate everything due to minor differences between different firmwares, but these tools save a lot of time.[/QUOTE]

This really sounds magic to me ! :bow:

Take your time. No one will die because waiting a few days ! :wink:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2426180]No problem. I still haven’t updated my own drives either because there were no bitsetting patches. It’s not too complicated for me - but it all needs some time. I have some tools but I cannot fully automate everything due to minor differences between different firmwares, but these tools save a lot of time.[/QUOTE]

Liggy, I was curious how one would know exactly which part of the firmware file to modify. It isnt like this is even labelled - would one need an inside source at the company to know where to start?

[QUOTE=max_clif;2429209]Liggy, I was curious how one would know exactly which part of the firmware file to modify. It isnt like this is even labelled - would one need an inside source at the company to know where to start?[/QUOTE]
Let’s start with the easiest patch - Riplock:
That one is pretty easy to hack. The firmware contains the text “VIDEO_TS” which it uses to detect Video-DVDs. The first patches simply changed this text to something else. I still have some automated patchers from TDB for old drives that I’m using which do the same. For newer drives I check the disassembled firmware where this text is referenced and just modify a conditional jump to an unconditional jump.

The RPC1 patch originally also came from TDB. It’s a matter of finding the relevant routine. Since the commands (and in particular sub-commands) for region settings are known, there are some search terms you would expect to be used - like a comparison with the decimal value 63 (hex 40). By coincident I once found the tables in the firmware that are responsible for calling the routines for each command.

I found the bitsetting routines while I was searching for something completely different - I think I wanted to find something that was related to Labelflash. I saw some subsequent comparisons and noticed that it was actually a comparison for the text “BTYPE”. This comparison can easily be located in other firmwares, so I just had to find an OEM firmware with full bitsetting support. Fortunately MadDog firmwares had this. I “just” had to copy portions of this firmware and adapt some addresses that are different between firmwares.

I think nobody who patches firmwares has inside sources at the companies.

I just ordered the Optiarc AD7240 and I don’t know which original firmware it has. Let say it comes with the 1.01, do I have to flash it with the original firmware 1.02 before I can flash it with Liggy’s bitsetting firmware 1.02? Thank you for your help.

[QUOTE=audio newbie;2429320]I just ordered the Optiarc AD7240 and I don’t know which original firmware it has. Let say it comes with the 1.01, do I have to flash it with the original firmware 1.02 before I can flash it with Liggy’s bitsetting firmware 1.02? Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]
No, just use Binflash and Liggy’s FW.

Thanks jamescooley1!

[QUOTE=audio newbie;2429324]Thanks jamescooley1![/QUOTE]
Anytime, enjoy your new drive.

Did anyone notice a very slow DVD-ROM reading speed with 1.02 firmware? (I used Liggy’s RPC1 firmware). Took almost 20 minutes to copy a DVD-5 (tried a couple of DVD-Video DVD5 and DVD9). Flashed back to Liggy’s 1.01 RPC1 fw and speed is back to normal.

My drive was taking 20 minutes with 1.01 RPC1 also. I used Speed edit and it seemed to help. Maybe some of the drives are different?

Bubba_,

I don’t know if it’s necessary, but I did use MCSE to set the read speed patch for 1.0B. And, I just did a check on a DVD-Video. It came out as a beautiful 12 TRT. Interestingly, the Video (Aika, Naked Missions) is PTP, not OTP like most video. So it’s sorta funny looking. :slight_smile:

I tried here with 1.02 BT RPC1 on my AD7240S and it seems to read fine - even thought the disc was CSS encrypted.