Optiarc AD-7230S - firmware and bitsetting question

vbimport

Hi all…

I have an Optiarc AD-7230S burner and I cannot find any information about firmware that is available to do bitsetting on this drive. Every list that I can find goes from AD-7203 straight to AD-7240 (no mention of AD-7230 at all).

The drive came with a Lenovo desktop computer, and has firmware version 1.D2

I assume that I need a different firmware to do bitsetting because it fails using ImgBurn and the NEC tab settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I’ve never heard of an AD-7230S burner. But 1.D* firmware indicates that could actually be an OEM version of an existing drive. So chances are good that Binflash may detect your drive. (Win32 GUI version recommended)

If the drive is detected by Binflash but gives an error when you’re trying to dump the current firmware, you should be able to create a drive identification file. If you paste the content of this file here, it might be possible to add bitsetting support for your drive.

If Binflash doesn’t detect your drive at all, support for it is quite unlikely unless Lenovo provides official firmware updates.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I downloaded Binflash as you suggested. The device shows up as [Optiarc DVD RW AD-7230S 1.D2], but when I click on “Dump”, I receive the following error message “Drivetype could not be determined”.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2487276]I’ve never heard of an AD-7230S burner. (…)
If Binflash doesn’t detect your drive at all, support for it is quite unlikely unless Lenovo provides official firmware updates.[/QUOTE]
At least a Dell OEM firmware is available:
AD-7230S 102B (Dell OEM)

Michael

That one looks very similar to an AD-7240S firmware. I already updated Binflash to treat the 7230 firmwares like the 7240 ones. However before publishing this version I also want to update an area of the booktype code in the commandline versions so the release may be delayed for a few more days. It will also fix the bug that you cannot create an identification file anymore.

Unfortunately the Dell firmware does not have the required code for manual bitsetting. They might do auto-bitsetting for certain media though.

@Montagar: I’ll PM you a download link for a Binflash version that should support the AD-7230S. You can try to dump the firmware with this version and send it to me.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2487294]Unfortunately the Dell firmware does not have the required code for manual bitsetting.[/QUOTE]Having no support for bitsetting (regardless of the drive manufacturer) is very common for Dell OEM drives :wink:

Michael

I’m seeing information that indicates this is a 16x drive(!). Is this something that’s been crippled by firmware, or did they use some leftover obsolete components to make it?!

[QUOTE=negritude;2487356]I’m seeing information that indicates this is a 16x drive(!). Is this something that’s been crippled by firmware,[/QUOTE]I guess this is a firmware controlled speed limit. Since 20x and beyond is just a marketing gimmick (IMO), this lack of overspeeding capabilities is no big loss :wink:

In theory, this drive should be able to write DL@12x (–> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/STORAGE/P212395/en/spec.htm), so I doubt this unit is made from recycled components :wink:

Michael

The firmware looks very similar to the 7240 series. So it may actually use the same hardware. But the bootcode is different so you won’t be able to simply crossflash between those drives.

But as Michael already said, writing DVDs faster than 16x is stupid in most cases. I usually burn my MCC004 at only 8x.

Seeing the problems involved with doing bitsetting on a lot of drives out there, what is considered the best DVD/Blu-ray burner in terms of flexibility in bitsetting? I am thinking about just buying a new drive and would like to get one that can burn Blu-ray as well as DVD and like the idea of being able to easily do bitsetting.

Hi Liggy, I want to know if its possible at the moment to flash a dell 7230s
i can’t dump…same error “Drivetype could not be determined”.
Thanks for the answer
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Dumping/Flashing a 7230S firmware is possible, but not with the Binflash version that is available for everyone.

I hope to release my current development version soon. It will include support for 7230S but also for 7260S drives. I guess the updated commandline bitsetting code will have to wait a little longer again :bigsmile:

My Acer Aspire 5740-5513 came with an Optiarc AD-7585H Drive . According to [B]Opti Drive Control 1.48[/B], it looks like the firmware might be KX04. I’m willing to dump the firmware and email it if it is helpful, but Binflash v 1.50 gives a warning message, “No supported devices found.” Would someone like the firmware? If so, let me know how to dump it.

[QUOTE=inversiondrive;2522956]My Acer Aspire 5740-5513 came with an Optiarc AD-7585H Drive . According to [B]Opti Drive Control 1.48[/B], it looks like the firmware might be KX04. I’m willing to dump the firmware and email it if it is helpful, but Binflash v 1.50 gives a warning message, “No supported devices found.” Would someone like the firmware? If so, let me know how to dump it.[/QUOTE]
While I have no information about the AD-7585H, it’s likely that this is a rebadged QSI drive. Until now I think nobody tried to deal with these drives and firmwares.

Hey Inversiondrive, You wouldnt happen to possibly have a copy of that AD-7585H KX04 firmware, would you? I corrupted mine, and didnt make a backup before hand, and cant find the KX04 version ANYWHERE…I got my drive working again EXCEPT it wont read/write DVD Rs/RWs using a Dell KD03 version… Would really like to see if I can get ahold of a KX04 version before I replace this drive with another. Thanx!

Hey, that worth coming so far, but I have been looking much the firmware, I could pass the file or tell me where to download the kx04?.
Thanks in advance and greetings from Colombia.