Optiarc AD-7220A

vbimport

I have one on the way to me, should be here Tuesday, do you need the Rom?

Marty.

Would be nice to get the data, but the drive is expected to be a LiteOn OEM drive, so you’ll likely be successful dumping the data with LiteOn specific tools.

Available at Newegg now. Ejector hole indicates a LO drive.

That’s definitely a Lite-On. Looks like the AD-7190A (DH-20A3P) and not like the AD-7200A.

Not only is that indicated by the ejector hole, but by the groove pattern on the top plate (my terminology).

Time to stock up on the 7200 series.

[QUOTE=negritude;2144816]Time to stock up on the 7200 series.[/QUOTE]
Yep. My 7201S should arrive today :wink:

Cdfreaks, what’s your guess? After some Liteon rebadges SONY NEC surprisingly, or at least to my surprise, released original drives again. And great ones! The 7200. But is it over this time? Was the 7200 the last original design SONY NEC drive? What do you think?

Without insight into decision-making at Sony NEC Optiarc, you might as well flip a coin and select one of these two answers…

Heads:
The 7220 series is a LiteOn design because that’s the quickest way for Sony NEC Optiarc to get onto the 22x bandwagon. They are still working on designing a “true” Optiarc drive series to be released later.

Tails:
Sony NEC Optiarc have decided that there’s no money to be made in designing their own DVD burners, so they have decided to just rebadge drives designed by other drive makers. There will be no more original Optiarc DVD burners.

/me flips a coin… :wink:

[quote=DrageMester;2145407]
Heads:
Tails:
/me flips a coin… ;)[/quote]
What if the coin (VERY unlikely) lands on its side/edge? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=KTL;2145631]What if the coin (VERY unlikely) lands on its side/edge? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
This means that Optiarc will completely cancel their business.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2145407]/me flips a coin… ;)[/QUOTE]

It’d be a real shame if it comes up tails. The market doesn’t need re-badges.

There’s one indication that makes me think that there won’t be another 22x drive with NEC chipset.

Their first 20x drive was called 7190 and it was a LiteOn rebadge. The “real” drive was then called 7200. I bet they would have named the 22x drive 7210 if they planned on releasing another 22x drive with a NEC chipset.

Don’t know if this has any relevance or not, but looks like NEC are getting out of Optiarc …

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/080911PR_E.pdf

[QUOTE=DAB Badboy;2146814]Don’t know if this has any relevance or not, but looks like NEC are getting out of Optiarc …

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/080911PR_E.pdf[/QUOTE]
It still says that the chipset will be NEC:

NEC will continue to contribute to the advancement of Sony NEC Optiarc Inc.’s optical disc drive products through the LSI development being carried out at NEC Electronics Corporation.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2144828]Yep. My 7201S should arrive today ;)[/QUOTE]

Liggy,

Since you got this drive, are we ever going to get modified firmware for 7201a/s?

I’m only responsible for the RPC1 and booktype patches. Everything else is up to Dee :wink:

But at least on my MCC004 I get excellent results even without modifying write strategies

Luckily I checked here before buying some new Optiarc drives…was about to consider the 7220.

Is the only difference between the 7200 and 7201 drives the Lightscribe feature? Or are there other differences in the firmware to indicate that one would be better than the other at regular burning?

I’m looking to stock up on two drives and for the $3 difference I’m wondering if I should just get the Lightscribe ones…just in case I ever want to try it out.

Thanks for all you do.

[QUOTE=tqhoang;2150629]Is the only difference between the 7200 and 7201 drives the Lightscribe feature?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=negritude;2151015]Yes.[/QUOTE]

i was in a hurry and ordered a 7200-S the other day, I wish I would have noticed the 7201-S (for just $3 more it would have been nice to have had the Lightscribe option avail)

but then having the modified firm for the 7200-S (not avail as of yet for the 7201-S as stated above) - that makes up for going with the 7200-S = cause I’ll be sure to load it up with Liggy and Dee’s optimized firmware). :slight_smile:

is this what we are looking at??

if it is a liteon wouldnt it be a different chipset? according to videohelp it is a nec oem chipset in it.

[QUOTE=CincyRob;2161833]if it is a liteon wouldnt it be a different chipset? according to videohelp it is a nec oem chipset in it.[/QUOTE]
Videohelp might be wrong. I’d like to see some pics from inside a drive. I guess it’s a Mediatek chipset.