Optiarc AD-7200S support dvd overburn

vbimport

Hi,
according to http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=22740&PageId=29
Optiarc AD-7200S support overburn with DVD media up to 4658 MB which is equivalent to my Benq 1655 overburning capability.
Anybody has tried overburning DVD on that drive or on newer 7203S ???

thanks

Haven’t tried it yet, but I’ll make an overburning attempt with DVD+R media on my Optiarc AD-7203A and get back with the result…

As with other such claims I have seen, even though a simulation might succeed, the drive fails to overburn when attempting an actual burn:

Also tried overburning with ImgBurn in build mode, attempting a 4573 MB overburn. This also failed:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2140066]Also tried overburning with ImgBurn in build mode, attempting a 4573 MB overburn. This also failed:

[/QUOTE]

Which media have you used ?
I can obtain perfect overburn using DVD+R verbatim 16x with my Benq 1655.
DVD-r doesn’t work.

bye

[quote=manuel74;2140096]Which media have you used ?
I can obtain perfect overburn using DVD+R verbatim 16x with my Benq 1655.
DVD-r doesn’t work.[/quote] I used Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) for these tests, which is the same media code as the CDRInfo review linked in the original post.

I double-checked that my Plextor PX-760A would overburn the same media and it did.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2140097]I used Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden 16x DVD+R (YUDEN000 T03) for these tests, which is the same media code as the CDRInfo review linked in the original post.

I double-checked that my Plextor PX-760A would overburn the same media and it did.[/QUOTE]

CDRinfo has tested AD-7200S, you have the AD-7203S, could it make some difference ?

bye & thanks for your test !

[quote=manuel74;2140256]CDRinfo has tested AD-7200S, you have the AD-7203S, could it make some difference ?[/quote] I have the AD-7203A (not S) which is the PATA version.

The AD-5200A/S is the basic drive.
The AD-7200A/S is identical but has DVD-RAM writing enabled in firmware.
The AD-7203A/S also has Labelflash/DiscT@2 enabled in firmware.

There should be no other differences between these drives, so none of these drives will support overburning to DVD+R media as shown by my test.

Simulated overburns cannot be trusted as a prediction for actual overburning, unless the simulation fails.

There’s also an AD-7201A/S with Lightscribe support. The only drive with a slightly different hardware (PCB for LS disc detection added)

So there is no DVD burner available with DVD overburning support ?
Only older Benq and Plextor which nobody sell anymore ?

bye
Manuel

[quote=manuel74;2140488]So there is no DVD burner available with DVD overburning support ?
Only older Benq and Plextor which nobody sell anymore ?[/quote] I don’t know of any DVD burners currently in production which support overburning on DVD media.

Personally I don’t use overburning except for testing, because it increases risk of problems and it decreases compatibility.

I am often “underburning” instead - deliberately burning no more than approx. 4 GiB to avoid using the edge of the disc which can be problematic for many DVDs, even for supposedly good quality DVDs.

I bought just 30 minutes ago a plextor 740A which can overburn (it the Benq 1640 rebadged) :smiley:

bye

Congrats on your new Plextor PX-740A / BenQ DW1640 ! :slight_smile:

I still think the info from CDSpeed is wrong.
Also its on Simulate.

I em that I’ve tried with my 7203S when I got it and it failed.

I don’t think i can recall a single burner made in the last 2 years that can over-burn DVD R media.

I don’t even test it now, unless a manufacturer claims it can over-burn DVD R media and, none have for a long time.