Optiarc AD-7200A vs. Pioneer DVR-115D/116D/117D

vbimport

Someone from ebay is selling a slew of AD-7200A drives:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-Optiarc-DVD-RW-7200-DVD-Writer-Dual-Layer-ROM-/220622943688?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item335e26f5c8

As you can see from my sig below, I own a bunch of NEC-chipset IDE-based Pioneers. Has anyone owned both, and have you noticed a huge difference?

I have the 215 and two optiarc’s 7200A and the 7201S all excellent drives, all are capable of producing good burns.
The pioneer is a little better on dual layer dvd’s especially with low quality media, also if the 720xA or S is in good condition (even better new, as the seller claims) i dont think that you will be disappointed with the 7200A.

[QUOTE=vroom;2527407]I have the 215 and two optiarc’s 7200A and the 7201S all excellent drives, all are capable of producing good burns.
[B]The pioneer is a little better on dual layer dvd’s[/B] especially with low quality media, also if the 720xA or S is in good condition (even better new, as the seller claims) i dont think that you will be disappointed with the 7200A.[/QUOTE]

I mostly burn DL DVDs, so I’ll maybe buy one just to try it out but will overall stick with my Pioneers. Thanks, vroom! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2527478]I mostly burn DL DVDs, so I’ll maybe buy one just to try it out but will overall stick with my Pioneers. Thanks, vroom! :)[/QUOTE]
If you burn DL’s, the 7200 is a very good drive to have in your arsenal :). I never tire of getting GOOD 12X Falcon DL burns with that thing :bigsmile:. My 7200 is actually better with DL’s than my 115.

My 7201S doesn’t even come close to my 112/115/116 Pioneer burners on Double Layer media.
It’s a great burner for single layer media of every grade, but burns on low/middle quality DVD+R DL media are often unreadable (especially on CMC MAG D0x).

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2527497]If you burn DL’s, the 7200 is a very good drive to have in your arsenal :). I never tire of getting GOOD 12X Falcon DL burns with that thing :bigsmile:. My 7200 is actually better with DL’s than my 115.[/QUOTE]

So far it looks like 2 votes for the Pioneers for DL burning and 1 for the Optiarc.

I took a look at the 7200 thread and man, those 12x MKM 003 and RICOHJPN are sweet! :eek:

With good dual layer media you wont have any problems burning with the optiarc, the pioneer will do a better job if you use mediocre media like ritek and cmc.

Help me out here, Jim! Womi and Vroom are gangin up on me :eek::bigsmile:.

But seriously, thanks guys for the cautions about Ritek/CMC. I go through a ton of DL’s, but since discovering the Falcon/7200 killer DL combo almost 2 years ago, I don’t spend as much time or money keeping tabs on Ritek/CMC quality as I used to :o:).

It sounds like the 7200 will be a worthwhile DL investment only if you are willing to feed it a steady diet of Falcons or Verbies. The ability to give Verb quality burns on $1.00 Falcon hub-print DL’s with the MCSE strat-swap(as well as excellent SL burning) makes this a must-have drive for me :clap:.

[QUOTE=vroom;2527708]With good dual layer media you wont have any problems burning with the optiarc, the pioneer will do a better job if you use mediocre media like ritek and cmc.[/QUOTE]

That won’t be an issue. When I started double layer burning (right after the Sony DRU-700a came out in 2004) I tried Memorex DL, and got such crap results that I’ve been using Made in Singapore Verbatim ever since.

Yes, I’d definitely be feeding it MKM 003 only. I’ve got a stockpile of about 180 from whenever they’ve dipped down to $33 shipped or so for a 30-pack.

About 6-months ago, I tried a 50-pack of the Falcon Inkjet printable with my 7240S. The TRT’s and scans with my BenQ DW1640 were nearly flawless, but alas, there was the occasional skipping in my older Sony standalone player. :frowning: So it was back to Verbatim-only for me after that.

I have a 7200S and a Pioneer 215D, they both are good but the 7200 kicks azz on all DL also very good with lower grade MIDs my Pioneer will usually perform great with high quality stuff like Verb +R and all TY and 1 spindle of MKM 001 but that was all.

DL 4x burn with 7200S posted. @Womi and Vroom, I am 6 feet 3 inches and weigh 240 lbs. :eek: quit picking on my buddy Dean J/K

never had any playback issues with Falcon, did have 1 that had a longer than normal pause at the layer break (3-5 sec.) but it played back flawless.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2527767]About 6-months ago, I tried a 50-pack of the Falcon Inkjet printable with my 7240S. The TRT’s and scans with my BenQ DW1640 were nearly flawless, but alas, there was the occasional skipping in my older Sony standalone player. :frowning: So it was back to Verbatim-only for me after that.[/QUOTE]
7240S? Grrrrrrrr. Mine can’t give two good DL burns in a row to save their lives. Did you try them in a Pio? If you grab a 7200 and have a few Falcons left lying around, give it a shot. Know what you’re talkin about with a really finicky player. Have one that would only play nice w/ verbs until I fed it a Falcon burned w/ the strat-swapped 7200. Replaced that with a Philips that plays ANYTHING :bow:. Philips-Liteon(PLDS) drive they use is a darn good reader. Not surprising, many of my Lite-ons have been good rippers.
Let us know if you get a chance to test its 12X abilities :).

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2527823]

DL 4x burn with 7200S posted.
@Womi and Vroom, I am 6 feet 3 inches and weigh 240 lbs. :eek: quit picking on my buddy Dean J/K
[/QUOTE]Nice burn :bow:

ROTFL :bigsmile:. Thanks for backin me up, JC. Womi and Vroom are good guys, don’t think this calls for any rough stuff ;). Wish I could get my hands on one of those European Pio’s. Must be comin from a better factory than the ones I got. Mine started out a very decent DL burner, 1.05 firmware I think. First time I updated it the DL strats changed, and got nuthin but mediocre or worse DL burns since.