Optiarc AD-7200A or Samsung SH-S202N - 20x PATA - $19.99 - Free Shipping - NewEgg

Optiarc AD-7200A

Samsung SH-S202N

Meanwhile newegg.ca is selling them for $28.99, with free shipping only on the Optiarc, go figure.

Nice price if I didn’t already have about 8 or 9 IDE drives. Wish they were SATA.

how’s this drive when compared to the Samsung 203B that everyone praises on this site?

[QUOTE=NBR;2164689]how’s this drive when compared to the Samsung 203B that everyone praises on this site?[/QUOTE]

For me, it’s easily kept up with both my Pioneer DVR-112 & 115 in terms of overall quality.

If that doesn’t answer your question, $19.99 & free shipping is one hell of a deal for the Optiarc AD-7200A. :slight_smile:

Own 2 of them myself, may just order a third. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=NBR;2164689]how’s this drive when compared to the Samsung 203B that everyone praises on this site?[/QUOTE]

I would trade both of my 203B’s for 7200A’s without an afterthought. They seem to burn more consistently. Also some of the cheaper media that you may of regretted buying will more than likely burn at least acceptably in it. My 203B’s
are good burners but I find that I need to scan all my burns because they occasionally puke out a substandard burn with grade A media.
budzos

[QUOTE=r_saotome;2164737]For me, it’s easily kept up with both my Pioneer DVR-112 & 115 in terms of overall quality.

If that doesn’t answer your question, $19.99 & free shipping is one hell of a deal for the Optiarc AD-7200A. :slight_smile:

Own 2 of them myself, may just order a third. :P[/QUOTE]

i thought that Optiarc drives are crappy readers? (i thought they where if i recall correctly on this forum)

[QUOTE=budzos;2164755]I would trade both of my 203B’s for 7200A’s without an afterthought. They seem to burn more consistently. Also some of the cheaper media that you may of regretted buying will more than likely burn at least acceptably in it. My 203B’s
are good burners but I find that [B]I need to scan all my burns because they occasionally puke out a substandard burn with grade A media.[/B]
budzos[/QUOTE]

what do you mean by ‘sub-standard’ ? … cause the way i see it is as long as the PIE’s are within reason (which im assuming they almost always are) and the PIF’s are generally 3ish or less on a single spike… i would assume that’s a ‘quality’ burn on the whole.

[QUOTE=NBR;2164819]i thought that Optiarc drives are crappy readers? (i thought they where if i recall correctly on this forum)

what do you mean by ‘sub-standard’ ? … cause the way i see it is as long as the PIE’s are within reason (which im assuming they almost always are) and the PIF’s are generally 3ish or less on a single spike… i would assume that’s a ‘quality’ burn on the whole.[/QUOTE]

I have had some issues with Verb 16x +R’s with multiple PIF spikes at 4 or more with the Sammys and most of my other burners can handle the same discs from the same spindle fine. They also exhibit some weird jitter on some of the burns. Maybe I just have a couple of mediocre 203B’s but I suppose it could be some crappy media as well. As far as the reading performance goes its average but I usually use my Benq 1620’s out of habit.
budzos

[QUOTE=budzos;2164872]I have had some issues with Verb 16x +R’s with multiple PIF spikes at 4 or more with the Sammys and most of my other burners can handle the same discs from the same spindle fine. They also exhibit some weird jitter on some of the burns. Maybe I just have a couple of mediocre 203B’s but I suppose it could be some crappy media as well. As far as the reading performance goes its average but I usually use my Benq 1620’s out of habit.
budzos[/QUOTE]

i c, but even @ a couple of minor 4 or even 5 PIF spikes i doubt the disc would be bad or even close to it… cause if 3 or less is considered ‘top of the line’, then 4 or 5 ish would still be well above average to the point where i highly doubt the disc would be unreadable anytime soon :wink:

as for that ‘reading disc’ thing i was talking about… i think people used them as testers to see if the disc could still be read using those Optiarc drives since i think if i recall correctly if a disc is starting to show signs of failure … it will show up in those Optiarc drives well before it would act up in say a Lite-On which are considered great readers… cause if you have problems reading a disc with a lite-on, it’s usually to late and your data is history from what i been reading on these forums here and there.

[QUOTE=NBR;2164940]i c, but even @ a couple of minor 4 or even 5 PIF spikes i doubt the disc would be bad or even close to it… cause if 3 or less is considered ‘top of the line’, then 4 or 5 ish would still be well above average to the point where i highly doubt the disc would be unreadable anytime soon ;)[/QUOTE]

I am a picky SOB when it comes to my dvd’s and I am quite sure I have tossed out many dvd’s that would of played but I wasn’t about to watch the whole thing to verify it. If I don’t feel confident with a burn I just toss it to be safe.
budzos

[quote=budzos;2164942]I am a picky SOB when it comes to my dvd’s and I am quite sure I have tossed out many dvd’s that would of played but I wasn’t about to watch the whole thing to verify it. If I don’t feel confident with a burn I just toss it to be safe.
budzos[/quote]
Ah ha, I knew there was someone as bad as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzos
I am a picky SOB when it comes to my dvd’s and I am quite sure I have tossed out many dvd’s that would of played but I wasn’t about to watch the whole thing to verify it. If I don’t feel confident with a burn I just toss it to be safe.
budzos

Ah ha, I knew there was someone as bad as me.

Yo-

Might as well toss me onto the pile - I’m [B][I]exactly[/I][/B] the same way-eh!!

My Optiarcs have read discs when my Lite-On couldn’t. I don’t think they are bad readers.

I thought Sammy was preferred over Optiarc.
I thought NEC (Optiarc) fell from grace when Sonny got involved with them.

I thought Optiarc could read/write poor media better but Sammy was preferred if you didn’t use crap media.

I use Verb 16x +R and -R at 8X for quality and Office Depot 16X +R & -R for everyday use.

I have BenQ 16x, Lite-On 16x and Samsung 18x.

Are you saying I should go with the Optiarc over the Sammy?

Would this Sammy 20X be an improvement over my Sammy 18x (in reserve in closet) or would you say I’m set until a 22x deal, SATA deal or BlueRay deal comes along?

Thanks for your help.

If I was buying I would choose the Optiarc. I am going to try to get the retail Sony DRUV204A thats on sale at Staples for $19.99 tomorrow thats linked in the post above. It is suspected to be a AD-7200A. If its not I will have to live with it.
budzos

[QUOTE=Parato Optimal;2165099]I have BenQ 16x, Lite-On 16x and Samsung 18x. Are you saying I should go with the Optiarc over the Sammy?

Would this Sammy 20X be an improvement over my Sammy 18x (in reserve in closet) or would you say I’m set until a 22x deal, SATA deal or BlueRay deal comes along?[/QUOTE]

The Optiarc is a better burner. Sammy’s are slow but good readers. I would get the Optiarc since you already have a BenQ and a Lite-On to help with reading.

The Sammy 20x would not necessarily be an improvement over your 18x Sammy. Stick with your 18x Sammy for now, but notice that the 22x Sammy is already cheap at $24.99 with free shipping.

PATA vs. SATA vs. Blu-Ray is completely up to you. I use a lot of burners in enclosures, so I still buy PATA burners. If you have SATA connectors and plan to install internal, then get a SATA. If you have money to burn then buy a Blu-Ray burner, just be aware that the cost of the media will drive you into bankruptcy.