Optiarc AD-7170A firmware 1.NC?

vbimport

Hi everybody!

I’ve just bought a Mac Pro with a Optiarc AD-7170A with a firmware version 1.NC. I haven’t seen any information on this version and don’t know if it’s very recent (not mentioned on the developers homepage, that’s NEC/Sony/Optiarc) or old or whatever advantages it may have over e.g. version 1.04.
Then again, there’s also a version 1.85 on Liggy and Dee’s page, which now totally confuses me.
If I just want to flash my drive to RPC-1 without changing too much else (unless it improves a lot of things, but doesn’t make the drive much louder…), is there a reason to wait for a patched version 1.NC, or can I just go and flash my drive with version 1.04? Or should I go with Liggys version 1.02c?

Thanks for any help and please excuse my ignorance, but I’m new to this. I have spent an afternoon trying to answer these questions on my own, but this is how far I’ve gotten.

Cheers

Stan

Latest version is 1.04 so the Liggy 1.04 is latest F.W. with bitsetting but you need to ask Liggy cause I’m not sure if you can use same firmware on Mac & PC both.

Optiarc drives in Mac have a different bootcode, so you should not use the 1.04 firmwares for your drive. 1.N7 and 1.N8 are compatible with your drive as well as the available Plextor PX-800A firmwares.

I already have 1.NC firmware at home but didn’t find time yet to integrate any patches.

Thanks jcusimano2 and Liggy for your answers.
So from what I understand I have the newest unpatched firmware on my drive.

Liggy if you ever get around to patching this 1.NC firmware to RPC-1 I will sure be a happy taker! :iagree:

Thanks for clearing this all up for me!

Have a great day!

Stan

I made an RPC1 patch for 1.NC a few hours ago. I hope to upload the file together with two AD-5630A firmwares this evening when I’m home from work.

Just tried your patched firmware and looks like it works!!! :clap:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :bow:

You’re the best! :iagree:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2021710]I made an RPC1 patch for 1.NC a few hours ago. I hope to upload the file together with two AD-5630A firmwares this evening when I’m home from work.[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh, my quest of being able to set the booktype on my Mac Pro is so close:

[lusol@hornet:~/Desktop/1nc_orig] ./necflash -setbt DVD+R-DL DVD-ROM perm A:
Binflash - NEC version - © by Liggy and Herrie
Visit http://binflash.cdfreaks.com

DISCLAIMER

THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE ABILITY OF THIS PROGRAM TO FLASH
NEC OR COMPATIBLE DVDR DRIVES IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE
PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY
SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

THIS PROGRAM IS NOT ENDORSED BY NEC OR ANY
COMPANY RESELLING NEC EQUIPMENT AS THEIR OWN BRAND

IF YOU UNDERSTAND THE RISKS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS PROGRAM AND
DISCHARGE BOTH THE AUTHOR AND NEC FROM ANY
DAMAGE OCCURING AS THE RESULT OF ITS USE, PLEASE INDICATE SO
BY ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTION:

Do you understand and agree to the statement above (y/n)? y

This booktype operation is not supported with your firmware

Would it be possible to create a 1.NC version that allows setting the booktype? I really need this so i can write a test DVD for my car’s navigation system!

Many thanks,

Steve

Unfortunately the 1.NC firmware does not contain some code that is required for my bitsetting patches. You could try flashing a PX-800A firmware instead.

However chances are, that DVD+R-DL discs are automatically set to booktype DVD-ROM.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2121385]Unfortunately the 1.NC firmware does not contain some code that is required for my bitsetting patches. You could try flashing a PX-800A firmware instead.

However chances are, that DVD+R-DL discs are automatically set to booktype DVD-ROM.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the booktype that Leopard sets is DVD+R-DL. OK, I’ll try you suggested FW and see what happens - thanks.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2121385]Unfortunately the 1.NC firmware does not contain some code that is required for my bitsetting patches. You could try flashing a PX-800A firmware instead.

However chances are, that DVD+R-DL discs are automatically set to booktype DVD-ROM.[/QUOTE]

Well, how in the heck did you come up with a Plextor firmware? It seems to be working!

Wow, thanks.