Optiarc AD-5970H. How to flash firmware/region free dvd drive?

vbimport

I’ve been reading a lot about flashing firmware and making my MacBook region free. I get only so far before I reach a point where I just don’t understand anymore. Unfortunately, I don’t have the brain capacity for this stuff and I need help. Like, absolute layman’s terms, step by step help. I’ve downloaded the 3ape firmware, BinFlash for Mac, DVD Info X, and Region X. I know I have all the tools I need. It’s the execution I’m having trouble with.

I keep getting an error in the Terminal window that reads “error opening firmware”. I must be doing something wrong. Help?

I’ll try to at least help with flashing the firmware. However I don’t have a physical Mac machine, so my knowledge here is a little limited.
The firmware file you downloaded is compressed and needs to be extracted using 7-Zip. I cannot say for sure, which programs can be used to extract the actual firmware files on OS X, but there are some options on the 7-Zip Download page that might work.

You should look out for either the 3ape_auto.bin or 3ape_rpc1.bin. The first one pretends to obey region coding without permanently storing changes, while the second file reports that it doesn’t support region coding commands and leaves it to the software/OS to take care of it. You may have to check, which one works better for you.

Then make sure that the firmware bin file and Binflash are in the same folder on your harddrive. Next step is to open a Terminal window and change to the folder where all required files are stored. If they are on your desktop, you could use the following command:
[B]cd ~/Desktop[/B]
Now run the command ls -l to verify all the files are there. If you only see necflash_mac.tgz instead of necflash without a suffix, you need to extract the file using the following command:
tar -xzvf necflash_mac.tgz
Now scan for the available drives with ./necflash -scan

This should list the supported drives, important part here will be the device value that you need to provide when you want to flash the firmware:

./necflash -flash 3ape_auto.bin xxxxxx where xxxxxx is the value shown as device in the previous step. Now you only need to confirm with y that you want to flash your drive and after a few seconds everything should have finished.

Looks like I am having the same problem… and nothing works.

/netflash -scan works fine (and returns A: as the device), but then, when I do the /netflash -flash 3ape_auto.bin A: (or _fast.bin or _rpc1.bin) all I get, after answering “Y” is: “Error opening firmware file”

… and if I try netflash -flash 3ape_orig.bin A: I get “Error opening SCSI device”

When I use DVD info X 3, I get This:

Vendor: OPTIARC
Model: DVD RW AD-5970H
Firmware: 3APE
Region: Not set yet
Changes left: 5 Vendor resets left: 4

Fact is, that no matter what DVDs I try to use on this MacBook Pro… I can no longer play them (I have DVDs bought in the USA, UK, Portugal, Italy, Australia, China, etc.) and I use VLC… nothing works…

Am I missing something? Am I doing something wrong?..

Thanks for any possible help!

[QUOTE=Liggy;2696188]I’ll try to at least help with flashing the firmware. However I don’t have a physical Mac machine, so my knowledge here is a little limited.
The firmware file you downloaded is compressed and needs to be extracted using 7-Zip. I cannot say for sure, which programs can be used to extract the actual firmware files on OS X, but there are some options on the 7-Zip Download page that might work.

You should look out for either the 3ape_auto.bin or 3ape_rpc1.bin. The first one pretends to obey region coding without permanently storing changes, while the second file reports that it doesn’t support region coding commands and leaves it to the software/OS to take care of it. You may have to check, which one works better for you.

Then make sure that the firmware bin file and Binflash are in the same folder on your harddrive. Next step is to open a Terminal window and change to the folder where all required files are stored. If they are on your desktop, you could use the following command:
[B]cd ~/Desktop[/B]
Now run the command [B]ls -l[/B] to verify all the files are there. If you only see necflash_mac.tgz instead of necflash without a suffix, you need to extract the file using the following command:
[B]tar -xzvf necflash_mac.tgz[/B]
Now scan for the available drives with [B]./necflash -scan[/B]

This should list the supported drives, important part here will be the device value that you need to provide when you want to flash the firmware:

[B]./necflash -flash 3ape_auto.bin xxxxxx[/B] where xxxxxx is the value shown as device in the previous step. Now you only need to confirm with [B]y[/B] that you want to flash your drive and after a few seconds everything should have finished.[/QUOTE]

I found another thread dealing with a similar problem (http://club.myce.com/f86/binflash-nec-optiarc-firmware-flasher-dumper-105676/index68.html so I checked the md5 sum as well… and it’s the correct one… and what I get is “Error opening firmware file”

Would appreciate it if someone could provide some help… Liggy?

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=Liggy;2696188]I’ll try to at least help with flashing the firmware. However I don’t have a physical Mac machine, so my knowledge here is a little limited.

[B]cd ~/Desktop[/B]
Now run the command [B]ls -l[/B] to verify all the files are there. If you only see necflash_mac.tgz instead of necflash without a suffix, you need to extract the file using the following command:

[B]./necflash -flash 3ape_auto.bin xxxxxx[/B] where xxxxxx is the value shown as device in the previous step. Now you only need to confirm with [B]y[/B] that you want to flash your drive and after a few seconds everything should have finished.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jao1;2714208]what I get is “Error opening firmware file”[/QUOTE]
Error opening firmware file comes if either the firmware file can not be opened either because it is not there (file resides in a different directory?), the current user has no read permission or the file you’re trying to flash is not a valid firmware.

Sometimes… can’t cure stupid! LOL! OK, I knew I was missing something and it was in front of my nose… so I went back to the thread mentioned in the previous post… yep!, the solution was there all the time:

I think that the firmware you’re trying to flash is not in your current directory. I checked the md5 sum and it is the correct one. [B]Try providing the full path to the firmware file[/B]:
/Users/w2/Downloads/necflash -flash -v [B]/Users/w2/Downloads/[/B]3ape_rpc1.bin A:
… and that did it! I now have a drive set to RPC-1 (region free)!..

:stuck_out_tongue:

[B]cd ~/Desktop[/B]

… and I not sure hat it is…

As said in previous post, I know have a RPC-1 (region free) driver… but I have just tried a region free DVD, and a region 1… and a region 2… and the drive ejects the disks… and VLC just tells me… No DVDs found…

Am I (again!) missing something obvious?..

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Liggy;2714216]Error opening firmware file comes if either the firmware file can not be opened either because it is not there (file resides in a different directory?), the current user has no read permission or the file you’re trying to flash is not a valid firmware.[/QUOTE]

The automatic eject is, under normal circumstances, OS X’s way of saying “This disc cannot be mounted/used/read correctly”. Whether it is OS X unable to get along with the drive in an RPC1 state (OSX really is not built to handle RPC1 drives and will freak out in some situations), or if the drive itself is currently in a broken state (unable to properly read any disc) is unknown.

You would have to see if you can try the drive in a Windows or Linux environment to really remove the actions of the OS from the equation. However, I cannot really provide more concrete information, and I cannot help test my ideas above.

:rolleyes:

Oh brother!.. the plot thickens!.. this is getting more complicated than I imagined! SIGH!

It can read RW disks fine… and DVD-R fine… have tried that…

I am starting to wonder if a sledgehammer would solve the problem… hum… :a

I though that Region X was going to trick the darn thing into thinking all was fine…

What other alternatives do I have?.. not many it seems…

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

PS: Under Parallels (v.8) the DVDs don’t play either… :Z

[QUOTE=Albert;2714240]The automatic eject is, under normal circumstances, OS X’s way of saying “This disc cannot be mounted/used/read correctly”. Whether it is OS X unable to get along with the drive in an RPC1 state (OSX really is not built to handle RPC1 drives and will freak out in some situations), or if the drive itself is currently in a broken state (unable to properly read any disc) is unknown.

You would have to see if you can try the drive in a Windows or Linux environment to really remove the actions of the OS from the equation. However, I cannot really provide more concrete information, and I cannot help test my ideas above.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jao1;2714219]Sometimes… can’t cure stupid! LOL! OK, I knew I was missing something and it was in front of my nose… so I went back to the thread mentioned in the previous post… yep!, the solution was there all the time:[/QUOTE]
So that one was a typical PEBKAC? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=jao1;2714246]What other alternatives do I have?.. not many it seems…[/QUOTE]
Have you already tried the auto-reset patched firmware?